Pooping dog on camera - do you know it or owner?

On Friday morning I discovered a large dog poop on the pavement directly outside my house on Dovercourt Road. Fortunately I recently installed a CCTV system and have photos of the dog "in action" and its owner - conveniently staring at his mobile.

Do you know them?

People like this should be named and shamed - and fined by the council.

There is little in place to enforce the crime of not picking up after your dog, unfortunately. Perhaps unless you see them in the act and you say something - but even then you're relying on their level of responsibility and caring... which I would imagine is lacking in the first place.

I found a cat relieving itself in my back garden last week. Despite numerous attempts to track down the owner I have failed. I think the time has come for me to take a leaf out of the OP's book and invest in a camera. The swine could return and damage my budding daff's at any moment and I am completely helpless.

Louisa.

Despite people mocking the OP for using his/her cctv for this purpose, I support this post 100percent. I live on beauval road, and the amount of dog mess on the pavement on Beauval, Dovercourt and parts of Woodward road is disgraceful. Walking with family/children/buggies can sometimes feel like negotiating a minefield on these roads. I would assume it's unlikely to be residents of these roads either, I guess these roads seem like quiet 'cut throughs' if you're walking from the village/park to lordship lane, and people hope that no one will notice them letting their dog dump on the pavement.

I will confront someone's if I see them letting it happen without cleaning up, in the absence of that I fully support cctv, drones, neighbourhood watch or whatever means nessary to get people to stop letting their dog mess outside my front door. I can't fathom how people can just be so lazy and inconsiderate. There are bins at both ends of beauval road, so there really is no excuse.

TheCat must be very young to not realise how selfish and and inconsiderate some dog owners, and most cat owners are. To wilfully own a pet that devastates wildlife on a grand scale and wrecks other peoples' enjoyment of their own garden is the height of laziness and inconsideration- I personally don't know how they sleep at night while Tiddles is out on the prowl.....

"Beauval, Dovercourt and parts of Woodward road [...] seem like quiet 'cut throughs' if you're walking from the village/park to lordship lane"

The other ends to Lordship Lane of these "cut throughs" have to be Dulwich Park Court Lane Gate and Calton Avenue (West end).

Interesting route-maps could be drawn.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> TheCat must be very young to not realise how

> selfish and and inconsiderate some dog owners, and

> most cat owners are. To wilfully own a pet that

> devastates wildlife on a grand scale and wrecks

> other peoples' enjoyment of their own garden is

> the height of laziness and inconsideration- I

> personally don't know how they sleep at night

> while Tiddles is out on the prowl.....

"there is no scientific evidence that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations UK-wide." - RSPB

You a vegan, uncleglen? If not then how do you sleep at night thinking about your own slaughter of animals? Do you own a car? Then how do you sleep at night thinking about the contribution you make to pollution which kills tens of thousands of humans every year?

Absurd, you may cry - no more absurd than your statement.

ETA By the way, studies have shown that without cats rat populations could quadruple within a year and continue to grow exponentially. Personally I'd sooner have the odd cat cross my garden than have it overrun by rats - and rats are worse predators on birds than cats, as they don't just kill fledglings but also eat eggs.

Yes, I do have a lot of things better to do. I also have a lot of better things to do than cleaning up dog excrement that is right at the end of my pathway.

As to calling the police, you are probably aware that this is a council matter and liable to fine of up to ?1,000. If the council started to issue such fines then people might be more responsible.

Growlybear Wrote:

> Do you seriously have nothing better to do than

> post pictures of a dog relieving itself on the

> pavement? Why not go the whole hog and ring the

> Police?

>

> You would only find threads like this on the East

> Dulwich Forum!

I have no idea. I am doing a public service?showing someone clearly committing an offence which is punishable with a fine of up to ?1,000, and more importantly is deeply anti-social. Hopefully if more people posted similar pictures then some dog owners might become more responsible.

Growlybear Wrote:

> On a more serious note, are there not issues about

> publishing photographs of someone on a public

> forum without their knowledge or consent under

> circumstances such as this?

No. But it is certainly a side benefit if it makes dog owners acted responsibly.

And in case anyone wonders, I am a dog owner myself and always carry a poop bag or two with me. The council very generously makes them available for free from libraries and the like and provides ample poop bins. There is NO EXCUSE.

DMW23 Wrote:

> Is this what you installed CCTV for?

Well I would check the legal position before I posted a photograph of someone without their permission on a public internet forum, particularly if I was accusing them of allowing their pet to commit such an dreadful offence.

woodstock Wrote:

> I have no idea. I am doing a public

> service?showing someone clearly committing an

> offence which is punishable with a fine of up to

> ?1,000, and more importantly is deeply

> anti-social. Hopefully if more people posted

> similar pictures then some dog owners might become

> more responsible.

>

> Growlybear Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > On a more serious note, are there not issues

> about

> > publishing photographs of someone on a public

> > forum without their knowledge or consent under

> > circumstances such as this?

edhistory Wrote:

> "Beauval, Dovercourt and parts of Woodward road

> [...] seem like quiet 'cut throughs' if you're

> walking from the village/park to lordship lane"

>

> The other ends to Lordship Lane of these "cut

> throughs" have to be Dulwich Park Court Lane Gate

> and Calton Avenue (West end).

>

> Interesting route-maps could be drawn.

Great idea, could you include the minefields!

Growlybear: People are free to use their photographs of people taken in public places as they wish - including for commercial gain. He was on a pavement on a public road. Therefore there is no invasion of privacy.

The photograph is not subject to the Data Protection Act, since there's no identifying information accompanying the image.

You could claim that posting a photograph was potentially libellous in England and Wales if it damages someone's reputation "in the estimation of right thinking members of society". However there is a valid defence of the truth against such a charge. I have the complete video of the offence being committed and therefore posting the images is not libellous.

And yes, in?the great scheme of things it is not?a major offence, to let a dog excrete on a pavement.?However next time you are wiping?your shoe and cleaning your carpet, let alone hear of a child going blind from toxocariasis caused by?dog excrement, all because of the unthinking behaviour of someone, I wonder whether you will be so unconcerned...

Growlybear Wrote:

> Well I would check the legal position before I

> posted a photograph of someone without their

> permission on a public internet forum,

> particularly if I was accusing them of allowing

> their pet to commit such an dreadful offence.

>

> woodstock Wrote:

> -----

> > I have no idea. I am doing a public

> > service?showing someone clearly committing an

> > offence which is punishable with a fine of up

> to

> > ?1,000, and more importantly is deeply

> > anti-social. Hopefully if more people posted

> > similar pictures then some dog owners might

> become

> > more responsible.

> >

> > Growlybear Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > On a more serious note, are there not issues

> > about

> > > publishing photographs of someone on a public

> > > forum without their knowledge or consent

> under

> > > circumstances such as this?

Depends on what you mean by issues. It's illegal to take pictures without permission, where an individual has a reasonable expectation of privacy. A public pavement is probably excluded from any expectations of privacy under most circumstances.

Growlybear Wrote:

> On a more serious note, are there not issues about

> publishing photographs of someone on a public

> forum without their knowledge or consent under

> circumstances such as this?

I also fully support the action and hope to see more of this naming and shaming. It's a massive problem in East dulwich and I and also fed up with a persistent offender allowing their dog to mess outside the front of my house.

Woodstock - well done and I hope you catch the guy and he gets the fine. It is antisocial behaviour and needs to be taggled with more cctv as most of the time it happens very early in the morning or late at night when people know they won't be seen.