Dear Living South so called magazine (Lounged)

snorky

Is is possible to actually review an ED resturant and come to any conclusion other than " excellent" ?

I also note the half page advertising spread regarding the reviwed resturant one or to pages on from the alledged review

I await with excitement, the review of the Maxin chicken ribs burger emporium in forthcoming issues

Regards

Mr Snorky

i used to work in the publishing industry and it's just how it works

magazines that are free to the reader generally (and understanbly) see their customers as those that advertise rather than those that read - so the intention from launch isn't let's make a magazine than our readers will want to read (and to be honest tho i look at living south i certainly wouldn't pay for it) it's let's make a mag that we can sell some ads into

useful as in a glossier Yellow Pages kind of way - but there is pretty much nothing written in there that contributes to the sum of human knowledge

Even within the constraints of being advertiser led, it doesn't need to be quite so vapid with it's editorial surely? I would argue that about 5 years ago it made for a mildly diverting read with a few columnists. Whereas now it's just pointless

The small ads are quite useful, and if somewhere new opens it's handy to know.

There was also an interesting article in it about the Dulwich Ukelele Band.

Anyway they're making money from it so I'm sure they won't care about criticism on the EDF :))

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure the people paying to advertise in

> it would be delighted to learn it's not getting

> delivered where they say it is...

Perhaps the delivery people decided to cut-out the recipient and just put it straight in the bin?

Makes sense - saves the rest of us a job.

Well I've just skimmed through it over lunch, and I found bits of it quite interesting.

And the review of Locale wasn't 100% favourable (not enough basil.... slow service ....) so not just a promotional puff :)

And I didn't get it delivered for a month or so, but now seem to be getting it again.

But hey, they put a bit in about the Goose a while ago, so maybe I'm biased (?sp?)

*Bob* Wrote:

> ruffers Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> I'm sure the people paying to advertise in

> > it would be delighted to learn it's not getting

> > delivered where they say it is...

>

> Perhaps the delivery people decided to cut-out the

> recipient and just put it straight in the bin?

>

> Makes sense - saves the rest of us a job.

I'd rather have it than not to be honest. Without wishing to sound like a paid for ad when I moved to the area I found it pretty useful for local businesses. Before I discovered the forum, clearly.

It's called an editorial. The magazine probably offers one (disguised as a review) upon a decent size advert being placed. This is nothing new. The media world is so corrupt in this way, it's unreal! Journalists will often write good review upon receiving freebies. This happens in across all sectors.

Never believe magazine reviews. Especially those that make profit entirely on advertising!

I used to find it quite useful but like others despite living in SE22 don't get it. I actually rang up and complained (during a slow day on Radio 4) they said how sorry they were and promptly did nothing about it. I assume its 'cos I live on top of a steep hill and they can't be arsed to climb it.

AcedOut Wrote:

> It's called an editorial. The magazine probably

> offers one (disguised as a review) upon a decent

> size advert being placed. This is nothing new.

> The media world is so corrupt in this way, it'sthrustt

> unreal! Journalists will often write good review

> upon receiving freebies. This happens in across

> all sectors.

> > Never believe magazine reviews. Especially those

> that make profit entirely on advertising!

Say it ain't so.

I feel that the virginity of my trust in the integrity of freebee giveaway rags has been taken by the thrusting penis of information as wielded above.

Frankly, I'll never be the same again.

Thanks for the last sentence. And I'll treasure the ! for as long as I live.