Multiple burglaries on Chadwick Rd

TTW

Our house has been broken into this morning (Sun Jan 15th) at around 10:45am. If anyone saw anything please let me know. We live on the upper part of Chadwick Rd, just before it becomes Grove Park.

We'd left about 15 minutes earlier so the burglars may have been watching the property. They smashed one small window pane in a lower ground floor bay window.

They entered the property and grabbed my laptop from a shelf. At this point the alarm must have triggered because they left quickly and missed my wife's computer which was also in plain sight.

There was another break-in on Chadwick Rd earlier this week so this may be the work of the same person/people.

I've just moved to Peckham Rye (3 months ago) after living in central Brixton uneventfully for 5 years! Hopefully this is just a one-off. It does seem incredibly brazen breaking into houses mid Sunday morning...

Forensics told me they'd been round to other properties in the past week so I knocked on a few doors. Nice to meet the neighbours despite the circumstances!

There's clearly a spate of these burglaries at the moment - it's crazy they've hit the same street repeatedly in such a short space of time. Not sure what the police are doing about it - it took them ages to turn up even though when I contacted them (999) the burglary was still potentially in progress.

My house was one of the others targeted.

The police were with us in around an hour on Friday night after reporting it.

The thief is targeting small electronics (we lost two laptops).

There's a rise in thefts at the moment across SE15, SE22 and SE23.

Is it worth setting up a neighbourhood watch?!

Ask the police to get you some smart water, which you dab onto all your valuables and which - if recovered - will show up under a police scan, allowing you to be reunited with your property. If not the police, maybe a quick search of smart water and/or a message to your councillor would work. (Your bottle of smart water contains micro digits which are unique to your and your address.)

Thanks Nigello - I have to say I'm a bit dubious about Smart Water... I worked with the police on a project a few years back and a few of them told me there are very few convictions that can be attributed to SmartWater - it's a business set up by a couple of ex-coppers and many current police are quite skeptical about its benefits. I know when I was with them we found a burglar who should have been covered in Smartwater but he'd easily managed to wash it off. But I guess it can't do any harm...

I believe there are - one's something that sprays a burglar with a solution which can identify him as having been in a particular premises but which, as noted above, can easily be washed off. The other type, which I believe is what the police are offering, marks one's property with a unique code which can be read by scanners and linked back to a database of owner registration. According to Wiki a trial in Brent in 2013 lead to an 85% reduction in burglary.

I'd certainly go for it if the police come knocking, can one ask for it or does one just have to wait until they come round and offer?

rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I believe there are - one's something that sprays

> a burglar with a solution which can identify him

> as having been in a particular premises but which,

> as noted above, can easily be washed off. The

> other type, which I believe is what the police are

> offering, marks one's property with a unique code

> which can be read by scanners and linked back to a

> database of owner registration. According to Wiki

> a trial in Brent in 2013 lead to an 85% reduction

> in burglary.

>

> I'd certainly go for it if the police come

> knocking, can one ask for it or does one just have

> to wait until they come round and offer?

85& reduction - that's getting in the criminals minds

rather than solving a crime then :)

As long as they're not going to the neighboring borough.

I am probably being paranoid here, but this morning there was a guy on a moped driving down Lyndhurst Grove, turning in to Shenley Road and back around on to Lyndhurst Grove, clearly checking out one of my neighbours leaving his property and getting in to his car. It was very obvious. My neighbour noticed it too and we both gave him a puzzled stare.

It does sound a bit dodgy. Would make sense if they were on a moped as they seemed to disappear v quickly after our place was burgled.

If you see any more suspicious activity/want to report anything, 'The Lane' community policing team can be contacted on 020 7232 7213 / [email protected]

Thank you OP for the heads up. It has made my household just that little bit more alert. Not that we've noticed any more-suspicious-than-normal characters about.

Sorry to hear about the break ins. I'm only just resisting the urge to CCTV my place, and may yet give in to buying some eventually.

Thanks fo this - As a Shenley Resident. I've tipped off the local residents that i know.

The only thought i would have on the moped was whether the moped guy was looking ofr parking, which is in desperately short supply at the moment?

Worrying developments.

Completely conjecture of course but I heard that on LL people on mopeds were doing similar.

The policy did suggest they were singling out houses that seemed less secure: it's not like what the took was on display.

Therefore some checking of the street/ houses must have happened at some point.