Homestall Road Water leak APPEAL: Black ice crash

Hi all,

I had a collision on black ice this week. After Thames Water had failed to fix/warn about burst water pipes or grit road etc.

There are no issues with the other car/ drivers details etc all being sorted.

What I am interested in is that I have since heard that there have been several incidents on that site because of the leak!

I am trying to get evidence to support our view that TW should cover this on their public liability, so that it doesn't affect our insurance policies etc.

(I have evidence of reports to TW about the leak dating back to 10th Jan!)

SO... did anyone else have a crash on black ice outside Harris' girls school in the last week or so??

Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer

Thanks. x

Yesterday,whilst cars were being diverted due to the resurfacing of Peckham Rye the road was like an ice rink. My car slid but a car looked like it had gone into the back of a coach outside the School.

That water has been gushing for at least a week.

Worth contacting the School as I'm sure it has caused problems for teachers and parents.

The cold snap has made that section very dangerous especially as it is a bend and slight gradient.

Hope your successful with your claim.

Thank you for your message Cinnabar,

Harris' have been extremely helpful. They reported the issue multiple times as they feared for the safety of their pupils coming in to school.

I have lots of evidence of these reports from Harris' and from the Leak Line at Thames Water.

I'm just so relieved I didn't kill anyone. It was low speed but if a child was crossing, there would've been no way to stop. My baby was in the car so I'm furious this had been going on for a week and no warning/ grit or diversion away.

I was only on the way to the Charity Shop to donate a load of toys etc.. surely good karma will come my way?!?!

Hi all,

I have just contacted Thames Water about the lack of action dealing with this leak and about the accidents. I would suggest if you haven't already done so, take photos of the site showing the water.

I hope this is resolved soon as it is dangerous in the current weather conditions.

Renata

I sent hubby down tonight to check and there are Thames Water trucks there.. FINALLY!!

I have loads of helpful community members sending me their reports to TW, email exchanges and photos etc.

Well done to Southwark and Harris' for gritting today. With drop in temp, there would've certainly been another collision otherwise.

Boo to TW.. I hope they admit fault!

This leak has been bubbling away for at least a week, and after TW had visited to dig up the road a few days ago, there was a very deep flood across the road. Yesterday morning (9.15am) I came off my bicycle on the sheet ice there - very low speed but now got a stonking great bruise. Luckily the traffic around was also also going slowly, so I picked myself up and walked around it.

missmack1981 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> bil,

> I hope your husband is ok?

> I would really appreciate any dates/ times etc to

> help with my evidence. I'll pm you my email

> address and if possible, could he email me

> details.. if he's ok with doing so?

>

> dimples, I've pm'd you.

>

> THANK YOU xxx

My husband said he took pictures etc. Please send me your e-mail address by PM and I'll let him know (he doesn't use the forum).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, below is the response I received from Thames Water about the leak and the resultant accidents.

Our Ref: 33289982

Leak in Homestall Road

Dear Councillor Hamvas

Thank you for raising residents? concerns regarding the time taken to repair the leak in Homestall Road, near Harris Girls? School. I am pleased to confirm we completed the repair in the early hours of 20 January, but I fully understand concerns regarding the hazard presented by the water freezing in the recent cold temperatures as we were contacted several times by customers worried about the danger.

It may be helpful to explain why it took so long to complete the repair and outline our actions taken to prevent accidents being caused by the leaking water. We first received reports of the leak on 10 January and investigated that day. Our Technician raised the necessary repair and the leak was added to our gritting list until the repair could be made. This meant our contractors attended and spread grit at over the site of the leak each evening when temperatures were forecast to fall below zero, in order to try and stop the water freezing and causing a hazard to road users.

While we were planning the repair it became clear that we would have to re-route parts of the local water distribution network in order to minimise the potential disruption to our customers? water supply. Just isolating the 6 inch main in Homestall Road would have resulted in 1600 customers being without water while the repair was completed. These included businesses, the school and several vulnerable customers, so we also had to ensure that the repair took place during the evening in order to keep the impact to a minimum.

We were able to reduce the impact significantly by bringing in water from other parts of the network for the duration of the repair. Unfortunately, this took some time to arrange, as we first needed to locate and test the network valves we needed to operate to re-route water around the network and isolate the main in Homestall Road.

I am very sorry that during our preparations for the repair, we received several reports that the leak had worsened and that the water was freezing during the night which had caused some accidents. Although the leak was being gritted, it appears that the volume of water escaping was washing the salt away and allowing the water to freeze. As a result we raised the priority of the repair and were able to cure the leak by fitting a clamp onto the damaged section of the main during the evening of 19 January and early hours of 20 January. Once again, I am very sorry for the length of time it took to

I understand you have been contacted by residents looking to make claims for accidents they suffered as a result of the ice. Residents can claim through their own insurers, who will then seek to recover costs directly from us, if they feel we are liable. If customers wish to contact us directly, then they can either submit a claim in writing to the postal address above or via email to [email protected]. Our claims team will then liaise with our insurers to ensure any claim is settled fairly and as swiftly as possible.

I hope this information is useful. If you have any questions, please call Michael Flynn, a Senior Case Manager in our Executive Office, on 0800 009 3965. We are open between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Yours sincerely

Laura Edwards

Local & Regional Government Liaison

I'm sure that Renata's words will carry weight.

Another way is to complain is to use Fix My Street. I think Southwark use this as a sort of quality audit. When I complain about a pothole or rubbish or most other things, I get a response from Southwark that it will be looked into and four weeks later a reminder from Fix My Street to check whether the whatever-it-was is fixed and if not to complain again.

So it's a sort of self-checking system

Thanks Sally Eva, I felt strongly that it shouldn't have to be repaired using council/ TfL funds the road was resurfaced only a couple of years ago and the reason it's in such terrible condition is that Thames water left it too long to sort out the burst main. First it flooded and then water was left coming up through the road for over a week.

Despite numerous reports to Thames water. Lucky it didn't create a sinkhole like the one they ignored in Lewisham recently!

But your link will def be useful for other roads thanks anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, to update, the road is to be repaired by Thames Water, please see the below.

14 February 2017

Our Ref: 33293338

Homestall Road

Dear Councillor Hamvas

Thank you for raising concerns regarding the reinstatement of Homestall Road following the recent repair. I am very sorry for the quality of the reinstatement and I understand residents? disappointment given the delays in repairing the leak.

I can confirm that we have inspected the reinstatement work completed in Homestall Road. We have determined that it does not meet the criteria set by the Highway Authorities and Utilities Committee (HAUC) Code of Practice. This agreement sets out the agreed standards all utility companies should abide by when carrying out work on the road network.

We have instructed our reinstatement team to return and complete the work needed to bring it up to the agreed standard. This is currently being planned by the team.

I have asked Michael Flynn, a Senior Case Manager in our Executive Office to monitor our progress until the work has been completed. He will contact you as soon as the date for the work has been confirmed, but will update you again by 21 February at the latest

Yours sincerely

Laura Edwards

Local & Regional Government Liaison

Hey all,

Well done MissMack for starting this thread. And great job Renata.

My husband, Andrew, was the motorcyclist who came off on the black ice and waved people down to warn them. Thanks Dan for your message by the way! We will get in touch with Thames Water re. money to cover the costs of the damage to Andrew's bike. Have you had any success MissMack?

Cheers, Eilidh x

Thanks Sally. I've just spoken to Thames Water and have further details. Homestall Road will not be closed for through traffic during the works (one side at a time). Due to the location (close to Harris Girls' School) works won't start until after school hours on the 10th. If they are not completed on the 10th, they should be completed on the 11th.

Renata