Southwark camera car parked with engine idling (as usual)

kford

On Lordship Lane this morning.

This is normal practice, and has been since they were introduced, but on this cold day the emissions are more obvious with a cloud of fumes hanging at head height behind the vehicle.

Isn't this illegal in London?

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Knock on window, politely ask for driver to be

> more considerate/lawful, take picture, send to

> local councillor.

The one I saw the other day had no driver; it had been left unattended. Presumably the engine is left running to power the CCTV.

Lowlander Wrote:

>

> The one I saw the other day had no driver; it had

> been left unattended. Presumably the engine is

> left running to power the CCTV.

Legally, permissible:

107.?(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

(2) The requirement specified in paragraph (1) as to the stopping of the engine shall not apply in respect of a vehicle?

(a) being used for ambulance, fire brigade or police purposes; or

(b) in such a position and condition as not to be likely to endanger any person or property and engaged in an operation which requires its engine to be used to?

(i) drive machinery forming part of, or mounted on, the vehicle and used for purposes other than driving the vehicle; or

(ii) maintain the electrical power of the batteries of the vehicle at a level required for driving that machinery or apparatus.

--Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

Socially, only acceptable if it's useful. If they catch lots of very naughty people, it's all right by me :)

It angers me beyond belief when I see parked vehicles with fumes pouring out the back. It's even worse when it's the council doing it. Many of us have lung and breathing issues in colder weather, exacerbated by pollution levels in London. Seeing people park up and leave the engine running idle is so offensive and anti social, it's socially rude not even consider those with health issues around you. Make it illegal.

Louisa.

The mayor has issued a 'very high' pollution alert today, and asked drivers to avoid idling in stationary traffic.

Whoever the CCTV car is catching, they need to be very naughty indeed to justify adding to today's winter haze.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn185/idiotboy77/8B16E6DA-3727-4FF5-B319-D55ED79D9BD2_zpsyfanyrjv.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn185/idiotboy77/093A5A16-C02A-4684-8114-A42CD517509C_zps0hmef2ll.jpg

uncleglen Wrote:

> There has also been a very noticeable increase in

> the smell of burning wood in the last couple of

> years....

It's the middle classes, taking control of their heating requirements

Not burning foreigners gas, but English wood instead

All very on-point for the future

Mind you, once 'we' tie up with Big Don and the U.S, we'll be able to burn tyres again I imagine.

Uncleglen is right. It is OK if the smoke is white (ie. burnt via an approved stove or coming from the burning of smokless fuel). On cold, still days even one house burning wood/coal etc. against the rules can really have a bad effect on those with breathing/lung problems, so if you are really enjoying the hygge glow you get but making "bad" smoke, just think of those whose health you are harming. That way, everyone wins: simple.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> The Law does not apply to those that impose it..

>

Sorry to disagree with you again, Foxy, but I think you will find it does unless there are specific exemptions within it .....

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The Law does not apply to those that impose it..

>

> >

>

>

> Sorry to disagree with you again, Foxy, but I

> think you will find it does unless there are

> specific exemptions within it .....

There are Always 'specific exemptions ' The people that write laws include backdoors to exempt those who understand the law.

Foxy

peckham_ryu Wrote:

> Rosetta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > They aren't the police. This is a civil matter.

>

> The exemption in sub-paragraph 2(b) applies to

> anyone. If the CCTV relies on the engine, it's

> allowed.

I am not convinced that CCTV is "machinery". I don't think it qualifies for the other subparagraph either