Fellbridge House east dulwich estate

shell

Hi .. anyone have any experience of this block? Been looking at a forth floor flat which is a good size but has an insane amount of large pipes circling the hall, bathroom and kitchen ceiling. I have no idea what they're for or if they can be moved/covered. Trying to work out if its a deal breaker!

Be warned re purchasing a ex local authority property as you will be liable for any work undertaken by the council and their contractors to the block - even if your flat does not need work done to it. You could be left with having to pay thousands out towards cost of work.

Oh God i wish I had any other option but its the only place anywhere near to being affordable. Cant move away from the area for various reasons. I'll check on planned works and avoid if its looking bad. Its really these pipes everywhere that I'm trying to get some info on..

bigmacca1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Probably central heating /hot water pipes, as most

> older council flats had concrete floors and

> central heating retro fitted all the pipe work was

> on show as they say in the trade? Wooden floors

> the pipe would be run under the boards.

Just what I thought, I've seen a few like that where the floors were concrete and the council went for the cheapest option to have exposed pipework.

Worth getting a plumber and/or builder round, will be possible to either re-route the piping (expensive) or to cover it (significantly cheaper). A competent plasterer/carpenter should be able to come up with a solution, maybe a few ?1000 at most?

Hi, whilst not on this block I am also a leaseholder. I would URGE you and all leaseholders to join LAS2000 (google it, volunteers work for all of us and ensure that the council doesn't try and take off us what they shouldn't (I mean, accidentally make mistakes in service charges....). It's not much per year and I have got back hundreds off the council in overcharging over the years as a result of getting help from them. LeaseholderCAB is also valuable. I had a case against the council which went to arbitration uncontested. Be an active leaseholder, by which I mean go to any LAS meetings and so on. Finally, I cover my pipes in the hall and the loo in coloured material all wrapped around it. Looks fab!

I live on the estate and am a leaseholder, i have pipes exposed in my toilet room, i lagged them and leave them exposed..the estate is a great place to live, my only concerns have been noisy neighbours,other than that its generally very quiet and friendly. There is an east dulwich estate committee and you can attend meetings in the albrighton centre..service charge is around ?1100 per year and you will be billed for any estate work which will be calculated prior,and you will be written to in advance about any forth coming building works and so on...

I'm a leaseholder in one of the other buildings, on the top floor - water pressure has never been a problem at any time of day (in fact, it's great!).

Good to hear from other residents' about LAS2000 and the regeneration group - I have to say most of this has escaped me so will look it up.

Re pipes and rerouting, when we lived in Ruskin Park House (run by leaseholder committee on a long lease from Southwark) the whole estate had a new heating system installed with exposed radiator pipes: we were offered the option of having them boxed in or left exposed. When I asked if I could get my own contractors in to chase the pipes into the floors/walls I was told no as that would invalidate the warranty offered by the installers. Worth checking if that's the case here, be a shame to buy on the basis that you were going to hide the pipes then find you couldn't.