Connecting East Dulwich to Crystal Palace

mmills

I have stated a petition to improve the bus service between Crystal Palace and East Dulwich, as currently there isn't a direct service, though there is to Peckham. When you consider the number of schools between the 2 areas, it is crazy that parents are having to change bus 2-3 couple of times to get between the 2 locations. The 363 in particular is very irregular which adds pressure to getting to school on time.

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/improved-bus-service-in-southeast-london

I agree, I've always wondered whey there isn't a better bus link between the two. The train station in CP isn't that near the shops/centre, nor is Gypsy Hill particularly. A bus would be far easier and more frequent (not least given the train issues at the moment).

Lots of secondary school children go between the two - most schools aren't allocated on catchment area at that stage, so its very likely that a CP child could be at an ED school, or vice versa.

It definitely can be. The suggestion of getting the train to Forest Hill (which in the morning is half hourly from Gipsy Hill) then bus, doesn't really help. For a start, it costs more and is still not a direct service.

Even if we put the school run to one side, it would be better for the economy of local areas if there was a simpler way to get between the two.

Toosmart1973 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I ride this route twice a day, via my commute,

> everyday of the week, takes me around 5 mins to

> get from CP to my home near Goose Green.

>

> Is cycling an option?

3.5 miles = 42 mph - you're average speed is over twice the speed limit ! Impressive.

mmills Wrote:

> It definitely can be. The suggestion of getting

> the train to Forest Hill (which in the morning is

> half hourly from Gipsy Hill) then bus, doesn't

> really help. For a start, it costs more and is

> still not a direct service.

>

> Even if we put the school run to one side, it

> would be better for the economy of local areas if

> there was a simpler way to get between the two.

It can be quicker to get the Overground and change at Crystal Palace.

The 363 goes right down Peckham Rye and Forest Hill Road, and then up Woodvale half of which is in Southwark and East Dulwich (if not that electoral ward) - this is definitely 'East Dulwich' (i.e SE22, inter alia). It's not just all about Lordship Lane, you know. Actually I don't think it ever enters Honor Oak, turning right from Forest Hill Road into Woodvale.

The 363 is heavily used in the mornings by boys/girls from CP travelling to the Harris schools - which it's well suited for given its route. If I travel at peak school rush time it can be difficult to get on sometimes (I get on at Underhill Road) so there's not much extra capacity at peak, peak times. As a result I either get on before 7:30 or at 8:30 when it's a lot quieter.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Considering the regular buses which ply Lordship

> Lane, it's relatively difficult to travel to some

> major nearby 'towns'. Brixton and Crystal Palace

> being the two obvious ones.

Depends where you are. 37 serves East Dulwich Road/Grove and Goose Green. P4 along the far end of LL and the Lordship Lane Estate.

Where it's really an issue is getting to parts of Southwark without a change of bus. Nunhead, Rotherhithe and Bermondsey without having to change buses. (Although some of you down the Peckham Rye end can get the 78 or P12.

It's easier to get to Penge or Croydon than to Nunhead!

The 363 goes directly to Crystal Palace and you can pick it up from Underhill Rd near Lordship Lane in addition to Peckham Rye (which is also SE22). The 37 (which you can get from Lordship Lane) goes directly to Brixton. The P4 also goes to Brixton... I really don't understand your comment at all at least as concerns buses.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Considering the regular buses which ply Lordship

> Lane, it's relatively difficult to travel to some

> major nearby 'towns'. Brixton and Crystal Palace

> being the two obvious ones.

Sorry, posted before seeing Bic Basher's post.

I agree with everything he said. Also, West Dulwich can be difficult to get to given its proximity. Interconnecting Nunhead and West Dulwich better would be great not just for schools but also for footfall on Lordship Lane and reducing parking pressure from people coming over from those areas to ED which is fairly common in my experience.

KidKruger Wrote:

> about 300 seconds from CP to ED ?

> My that's very good going indeed.

Its downhill all the way pretty much, when the lights are on your side its around 5-7 mins, slowest around 9 mins, don't forget on a bike you can take the quickest 'line', in a car you're restricted to keeping to the designated lanes which often increases the distance.