parkhill properties?

madger

Really sad that a local business is having to close, the Cookshop on Lordship Lane, because of a huge rent rise applied by their landlord, Parkhill Properties. It seems really important to keep genuinely local businesses on Lordship Lane, not least because the high street is still quite unique in London in retaining so many independent shops. I often go to Peckham if I need something from one of the chains and I like the variety of shopping the whole area provides, using the local shops on Lordship Lane for convenience, choice and the pleasure of chatting with the fantastic dedicated shop owners and staff. I think they give such a fantastic backbone to the area, and are one of the things I love most about this area since moving here in 1999. I can't imagine any local businesses being able to afford the astronimical rent rises being imposed by this company. Does anyone have any ideas about what can be done to protect them?

Yes in order to protect yourself then create a business that its worth it...

Most of local businesses I see are absolutely rubbish (no offense) but you live in an ERA where anyone can order anything online e.g amazon etc, for much cheaper... Either develop your business to accommodate the new ERA you live in or well go for bankruptcy.

madger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Really sad that a local business is having to

> close, the Cookshop on Lordship Lane, because of a

> huge rent rise applied by their landlord, Parkhill

> Properties. It seems really important to keep

> genuinely local businesses on Lordship Lane, not

> least because the high street is still quite

> unique in London in retaining so many independent

> shops. I often go to Peckham if I need something

> from one of the chains and I like the variety of

> shopping the whole area provides, using the local

> shops on Lordship Lane for convenience, choice and

> the pleasure of chatting with the fantastic

> dedicated shop owners and staff. I think they give

> such a fantastic backbone to the area, and are one

> of the things I love most about this area since

> moving here in 1999. I can't imagine any local

> businesses being able to afford the astronimical

> rent rises being imposed by this company. Does

> anyone have any ideas about what can be done to

> protect them?

What will the rent be?

Parkhill Properties now own quite a few of the buildings on Lordship Lane. They started buying up shops and flats in the mid 90s, I think.

I don't like the way that the shops who have made Lordship Lane successful and vibrant are penalised for the success they've generated by having huge rent increases. Having said that, the landlord can only charge what retailers are prepared to pay.

I remember when I first moved to the area I noticed all these properties that had the name of the landlord emblazoned on. They even presumptuously posted a thoroughly awful banner welcoming everyone to LL as though that were their responsibility. Happily they were forced to take that down. Realising the True Potential of Properties their signs command. Not that I suppose they're any different from any other landlord but rubbing it in the face of struggling and now defunct businesses is rather cruel.