Street lights on Oakhurst Grove

KateW

Can anyone suggest who I should write to about the poor street lighting on Oakhurst Grove? It's almost pitch black on half the street and I really don't feel safe walking down there when it's dark. Turn the corner into Hindmans Rd and it's another story; practically floodlit!

I'm not suggesting 'extreme lamplighting', just something a bit better than the poor orange lighting that is sporadic down the road. Sorry Inkmaiden, but having been mugged once already, it's precisely the 'pools of darkness' that make me jumpy.

Hi,

The lights in Oakhurst Grove are part of its charm, years ago when it had gas lights it was better. You will also notice that because of its darkness it does not attract youths intent on spraying grafiti on anything that is stood still, as they need light to perform their artistry.

Because of our work (shifts Etc.) we leave and return at all hours and do not feel threatened, I would suggest if you are able to seek out a better lit street, or if you use Oakhurst Grove and are worried, walk down the centre of the road.

I believe Oakhurst Grove is a secure area as I have noticed on occasions that if there is excess noise people do look out of windows. I for one have heard a noise and got up to make sure everything was alright.

Kind regards,

Libra Carr.

I agree with Kate W. I wrote to the council when I first moved in over two years ago and never heard anything back. Best bet is to walk in the middle of the road late at night and have a light that automatically comes on when you approach your front door. As others have said, as it's so quiet, at least people will come running to your rescue if they do hear something.

Please do have another go at the council - it's not nice being a young woman walking home alone on a dark street.

Good luck,

Susie

Hi,

Just to add another little note to my last posting. The Council are obliged to act if you make a complaint. If they do not act and you have placed them on notice, I believe you can issue a writ of mandamus or an order of certiorari.

(interpretation: A prerogative order from the High Court instructing an inferior tribunal, public official, corporation, council, etc., to perform a specific public duty relating to its responsibilities).

For instance: you complain, the council ignore you. You place them on notice giving them 14 day's to respond, they fail to respond, you go to a legal rights service and they will gladly help you in making the council perform there legal duty.

Alternately, buy a torch and carry a panic/attack alarm which I believe is free from some most Met Police Stations.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

Thanks Susie, I was beginning to feel like I was making a bit of fuss about nothing but I will contact the council today and ask them to review the lighting currently being used. I do walk down the middle of the road in the dark and have a light above our front door (which we got after all three flats in our house were broken into in January) and I'll keep doing it until we have better lights. Thanks too Libra Carr, if I don't get a response I'll do what you suggest.

While you're at it, have a word with the government of Singapore. They know a thing or two about street lighting. We'll get the whole of ED lit up like a glowing beacon. It might cause aircraft to rethink their flight paths to Heathrow and City!