Traffic on Lyndhurst Grove

Bopster

Welcome to the area, as a toast rack resident I feel your pain.

The traffic is mildly worse at the moment than usual due to the closure of camberwell grove. Part of the current problem too is that due to the lack of parking restrictions anyone can park here and the whole area functions as a free for all for commuters using local stations and bus routes.

Thankfully a consultation was held last autumn to get a CPZ, and it looks like there has been a positive reaction. If a CPZ does come in over the summer, then expect traffic to drop considerably as the commuters find other streets to clog up, and Cambwerwell Grove reopens.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The CPZ won't calm traffic, it may well have the

> opposite effect.

> Camberwell Grove reopening will improve things.

Genuinely curious - why do you think reducing the number of vehicles on the streets by about 60%, and removing all the daily commuters fighting for spaces make it busier for traffic?

Bopster Wrote:

> Hi

>

> I've recently moved to Lyndhurst Grove. There's a

> lot more traffic than I thought. Is this because

> the bridge on Camberwell Grove is closed or is it

> always like this. Seems like it gets used as a bit

> of a rat run.

>

> Cheers

Camberwell Grove bridge closure is indeed the main issue. Should be a noticeable improvement when it finally reopens.

rahrah - I did enjoy that ,thanks .

Posting lyrics for those like me who can't hear

"59 Lyndhurst Grove"

There's a picture by his first wife on the wall

Stripped floor-boards in the kitchen and the hall

A stain from last week's party on the stairs

No one knows who made it or how it ever got there

They were dancing with children round their legs

Talking business, books and records, art and sex

All things being considered you'd call it a success

You wore your black dress oh-oh oh-oh...

He's an architect and such a lovely guy

and he'll stay with you until the day you die

And he'll give you everything you could desire

Oh well almost everything everything that he can buy

So you sometimes go out in the afternoon

Spend an hour with your lover in his bedroom hear old women

rolling trolleys down the road

Back to Lyndhurst Grove Lyndhurst Grove Oh.

Bopster - we are also on Lyndhurst Grove. The biggest problem on the road is the section between Talfourd Rd and Denman Rd where there is only space for one car, so you frequently get queues at each end with cars waiting to go up and down. Add to this impatient drivers moving through the section at the same time with resultant, often heated, arguments, it can be very noisy and quite painful! This has always been a problem, but the volume of traffic since Camberwell Grove closed has definitely increased and made the whole situation worse. There is discussion of CPZ/parking on one side only in this section which will make the flow of traffic much better, but the opening of Camberwell Grove will likely make the biggest difference.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> That stretch is definitely a problem .Wouldn't

> double yellow lines on one side be as effective as

> a CPZ ?

Southwark estimate that CPZs drop car use by about 60%. Also some yellow lines are coming in with the proposed CPZ.

Right .Um ,I'm sure this is simplistic but I can't help thinking this

"Commuter" car tries to park outside a resident's house

a) resident of Lyndhurst Grove parked there already

b) resident's car absent and space available for "commuter" .

No harm done ?

Resident returns from work/errand - "commuter " car taking up parking space . Answer = CPZ ,resident pays money and "commuter" prevented from parking ,space remains empty .

Bit of a waste .

Or doesn't remain empty because Residents Parking Permits exceeds number of residents'cars .

Mmm - why have a CPZ with Resident Parking ?

The problem is that there are less residents with cars than spaces, but the problem in this area is the following:

Heavy useage from commuters who fill up the road from 6am onwards, and spaces rarely become available before 7pm - therefore the residents have nowhere to go on their return.

Heavy 'out of hours' use by places like Kings College Hospital - who have increased their parking charges meaning that staff park for free locally, but this increases 'out of hours' pressure even during the weekends. Since recent changes there has been a near total loss of 'spare spaces' during the weekend where even a few years ago there was space.

Local residents living in CPZ areas parking their cars long term for free rather than pay for a CPZ, thus denying spaces long term.

Finally lots of people who need to use cars need to do so during the day - there are no spaces left when they return from their daily car use and I've heard of people spend an hour looking for a space. There are serious issues for elderly, disabled and parents which are causing major quality of life issues for them. A CPZ makes a vast and life chaniging difference for them.

Has there been any research into consumer satisfaction with existing RP schemes I wonder ?

I've heard it's often not the holy grail envisioned by many but maybe this is untrue .

What is true I fear is that such schemes result in other areas suffering ,that the total nos of parking spaces is reduced slightly ,that living near major transport/places of employment/schools/hospital does indeed cause pressure on car parkingetc .

" less residents with cars than spaces" - that is unusual .I wonder if the proximity of 2 railway stations and numerous bus routes has encouraged residents to avoid car ownership "

and rahrah's right I think .

If commuter vehicles looking for parking spaces are removed and there are fewer vehicle movements the road will become clearer of traffic . Initially .But the fact that it's less clogged up will make it more attractive to people driving through and using it as a route to get from A to B . So it won't stay that way .

jimlad48 Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The CPZ won't calm traffic, it may well have

> the

> > opposite effect.

> > Camberwell Grove reopening will improve things.

>

>

> Genuinely curious - why do you think reducing the

> number of vehicles on the streets by about 60%,

> and removing all the daily commuters fighting for

> spaces make it busier for traffic?

Because fewer parked vehicles generally means higher average speeds and more 'rat running'.

Bopster Wrote:

> It really is quite busy. Thankfully I have a six

> month break clause in my lease. Won't be staying

> if it's like this.

>

> Would it be worth seeing if there's any chance of

> getting the road closed/filtered to through

> traffic

I think you've answered a question?