Shopping robot spotted on Lordship Lane

Carrie

Carrie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Spotted a shopping delivery robot crossing the

> road outside M&S at lunchtime and trundling up

> Lordship Lane followed by two minders.

> http://www.wired.co.uk/article/starship-skype-deli

> very-robot-autonomous-shopping

OK stupid question.

But if it's a robot, what's the point in having a minder, let alone two?

Is this just a settling-in thing?

Reg Smeeton Wrote:

> I wonder if once these things go solo some

> antisocial members of the public will start to

> 'bully' these devices for a bit of a laugh (by

> standing in their way etc).

That would be the least of my concerns!

Angelina Wrote:

> We have them around our offices.

>

> They'd last five minutes in Peckham out on their

> own.

Hipsters would steal them for personal use

(bringing Latte mid morning, a nice tart in the afternoon)

Jeremy Wrote:

> I knew they were being trialled in SE London.

>

> Really can't see them lasting too long without

> their "minders" in tow. Unless future models

> include a sentry bot.

You mean a gun toting robot - Jeez :)

Sue Wrote:

> Carrie Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Spotted a shopping delivery robot crossing the

> > road outside M&S at lunchtime and trundling up

> > Lordship Lane followed by two minders.

> >

> http://www.wired.co.uk/article/starship-skype-deli

>

> > very-robot-autonomous-shopping

>

>

> OK stupid question.

>

> But if it's a robot, what's the point in having a

> minder, let alone two?

>

> Is this just a settling-in thing?

It's a bit like the Self Check out in Supermarkets that take two assistants to scan--reset-scan--reset your shopping :)

Foxy

Bonkers!

Drones I can understand, at least you're not likely to trip over them unless something goes horribly wrong, but things that look like vacuum cleaners clogging up the streets?!

Maybe they need the minders to ring the doorbell (taking it in turns, presumably), given that the robot doesn't appear to have any arms :))

Sue Wrote:

> Bonkers!

>

> Drones I can understand, at least you're not

> likely to trip over them unless something goes

> horribly wrong, but things that look like vacuum

> cleaners clogging up the streets?!

>

> Maybe they need the minders to ring the doorbell

> (taking it in turns, presumably), given that the

> robot doesn't appear to have any arms :))

They send you an E-mail / Text when they are outside your address..

Foxy

Sue Wrote:

> Bonkers!

>

> Drones I can understand, at least you're not

> likely to trip over them unless something goes

> horribly wrong, but things that look like vacuum

> cleaners clogging up the streets?!

>

> Maybe they need the minders to ring the doorbell

> (taking it in turns, presumably), given that the

> robot doesn't appear to have any arms :))

Listen to The Life Scientific on R4 from yesterday. The Professor of the Robotics research lab described drones as "essentially upside down aerial Fly-MO's"

Hi everyone,

My name is Henry, Head of Marketing and Communications for Starship Technologies - the delivery robot company!

It's so great you've seen our little robot out and about! I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. After reading through some of the comments, it seems like you met one of our robot handlers (we're hiring by the way if anyone wants a robot handler job!).

Our robot handlers are there to look after the robot and introduce the new technology to the public if people ask. Our robots have sophisticated obstacle detection so they don't bump into anything when they're travelling on the pavements in local neighborhoods. They are designed to delivery groceries, parcels and food 24/7 on demand for about ?1 in the future.

We're aiming to help with congestion and pollution by taking vans and cars off the road. Happy to answer any other questions, thank you! Also check out our facebook, www.starship/xyz/starshiptech or our website www.starship.xyz if you're interested. Thanks!

henryhb Wrote:

> Hi everyone,

>

> My name is Henry, Head of Marketing and

> Communications for Starship Technologies - the

> delivery robot company!

>

> It's so great you've seen our little robot out and

> about! I'd be happy to answer any questions you

> may have. After reading through some of the

> comments, it seems like you met one of our robot

> handlers (we're hiring by the way if anyone wants

> a robot handler job!).

>

> Our robot handlers are there to look after the

> robot and introduce the new technology to the

> public if people ask. Our robots have

> sophisticated obstacle detection so they don't

> bump into anything when they're travelling on the

> pavements in local neighborhoods. They are

> designed to delivery groceries, parcels and food

> 24/7 on demand for about ?1 in the future.

>

> We're aiming to help with congestion and pollution

> by taking vans and cars off the road. Happy to

> answer any other questions, thank you! Also check

> out our facebook, www.starship/xyz/starshiptech or

> our website www.starship.xyz if you're interested.

> Thanks!

Can your Robot make it up the hill from the Horniman?