Van Bookings at the Reuse and Recyling Centre

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of the new policy at the Dover Street centre for van bookings? I need to hire a van to take some really broken old furniture to the site next weekend and I'm trying to apply for a permit online (apparently I'm required to do it 3 days in advance).

Frustratingly though, it won't let you proceed without the van's registration plate... obviously save for a few lucky people with access to a van for residential waste, I would guess most people using this are going to hire vans, and you obviously don't know the reg until you collect the vehicle (I've called Enterprise and they've confirmed this).

My other option is to walk over to a Zipvan site and hope that I'm able to reserve the specific van for the time I can get at the RRC, but it doesn't really seem a great solution.

Just wondering if anyone else had found another way around it?

Thanks!

Fred

Cheers - yeah I guess that's a good other solution. I guess I'm just trying to keep it as affordable as possible, so I'm thinking the zipvan might be the best way to go, will just wait to see if KK hears anything at Dover St before sorting something out this evening. Would have thought it'd make sense to link the van permit to a household rather than a specific vehicle, but I guess see what they say.... thanks!

just got back after doing a car load.

The nice guys there didn't have a clue between them on how to get around this one.

However, reading above, there appears to be provision on the form for specifying 'rented van' ?

Anyways, if form does not facilitate I would personally write down the reg no of one of the hire vans (copy form their website, go and look for a similar van on their premises?) and then on the day jst say the hir co. changed the van you thopught you were getting.

One thing the guys did say is as long as the driver has a permit they generally don't kick up a fuss.

Thanks so much for asking!... yeah in the end I've done what Ed says above about putting N/A on the form and just ticking the "van hire" option. It does say they need the reg in advance, but hopefully they'll see sense and not be too picky about it. Thanks for your help though- I'm heading along on Saturday so will let you know how I get on. Cheers!

Be warned, I have a MPV and the rules are now that if you take the seats out, or even fold them down to avoid getting you garden/house rubbish over them then you will have to apply for a trade waste permit. Bonkers excessive interpretation of the rules to prevent trade dumping. You would hope they could allow some leeway if they felt you were not trade, but that probably depends on what mood they are in. Sometimes extra helpful, sometimes extra grumpy.

In fairness to council tax payers it should be pretty easy to deposit waste in this location ? it always was in the past. I get that there are budget constraints but now that you have to pay for pick ups from your home (?16 last time I did it and they didn?t even take everything that was listed), there should be a simple system of using a hire van (or putting your seats down in a car) without having to worry. I get the impression this is about making life difficult to reduce council costs, which will only result in fly-tipping.

I think that's a fair assessment dave, I'd only temper it with the comment that the council are trying to avoid trades abusing the service - so they've had to cast the net wide to catch them out (which has, as always unfortunately, affected regular council tax payers).

Hi all, I have had a response about this. There is no issue with using a hire vehicle and not having the number plates. You need to fill in the form and state it's a hire vehicle. As well as your proof of residence bring along your hire documents with you to the recycling centre.

Renata