The Bishop food gone downhill??

Went to the Bishop for some food this week (first time in a while) and I have to say I was very dissapointed! The food used to be really good quality, and now seems very bland, and felt as though they were using yesterdays ingredients?

Was this just a lapse? Or has anybody else experienced this?

I will be going back to try again, as hoping it was just a one off.

Yes my last two visits were very disappointing.The yorkshire pudding was very hard and the veggies were cold.The Bishop used to do good food about a year ago unfortunately gone very down hill. Can anyone recommend a good Sunday roast venue.

I occasionally have lunch at the Bishop and on those occasions tend to have the Salade Nicoise. A year or so ago this was made with fresh tuna steak, last time I went it was canned tuna - same price, mind you. Could the S Nicoise test be introduced as standard measure of quality?

AcedOut Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It'd be a shame if it's gone downhill. I used to

> really enjoy food there at a reasonable price.

> I've not had food there for several months

> though.

>

> Has there been a change of chef?

I suspect it's as likely to be the rising cost of food, if the prices have stayed similar or only gone up a bit.

The FT suggests that the prices of staple foods have gone up by 60% on average in the last 18 months (and some things like wheat have gone up as much as 130%). In those circumstances I imagine publicans are faced with putting up prices to a level that customers won't wear, or cutting a few corners (or producing food at very low margin or at a loss, which doesn't seem like great business sense in these times).

is it my imagination or has Wheetabix not gone up by anything like 130%

definitely see some things have gone up, sometimes by a lot but I know for a fact I'm not spending anything like +60% on food

If food prices are behind the changes then a revamp of the menu is more in order - replacing fresh tuna with tinned is just wrong on every level surely?

My own thoughts is that the Bishop "group" have expanded more into a pubco than a local pub so are less focused on quality these days. Just an opinion tho so if Scott or whoever is able to put me right I'd be more than happy

carla Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes my last two visits were very disappointing.The

> yorkshire pudding was very hard and the veggies

> were cold.The Bishop used to do good food about a

> year ago unfortunately gone very down hill. Can

> anyone recommend a good Sunday roast venue.

Same - the yorkshire had clearly been sat in the oven drying out all afternoon. I asked for some more gravy to soften it up a bit and they charged us for it. Oh well....