mother in law moving in with us, parking?

My elderly mother in law is moving in with us (health, desire to be close to family reasons). She is still able to drive and we would need to get a street parking permit for her. Does anyone know if it is possible to get another permit for our house? I heard that it is only one permit per house in Southwark. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

I assume you live in a Southwark CPZ? If so, which one?

There's nothing on here http://www.southwark.gov.uk/parking/parking-permits/on-street-permits/resident-parking-permits which suggests it's only one permit per household - so many houses are shared accommodation that would be pretty unworkable in my view, but there are some special rules in particular places. Best to ask Southwark if you want an absolutely clear answer for your street.

The practical issue may be proving that she lives at the property with you to a sufficient level to get the permit - if she's registered on the electoral roll there that looks like it should be enough for the online application form.

If your mother-in-law is moving to you permanently then she will also need to get a new Driving Licence issued to the correct address (that's the law, not an option) - if she has lived for a long time where she is moving from then she will probably also need to apply for a new photo-ID Driving Licence (clearly with a photo) - as she probably still has the old pink paper Licence.

She doesn't qualify for a BB. She's moving in so that she can be near us and because she's a bit infirm, but she can still get about. I guess we're not expecting her infirmity to get better (she is in her mid-80s) but hope it won't go as far as being severely restricted in terms of arm and leg movement.

Will she want to drive? My Mum drove until very recently (she's 88) but she wasn't really safe. Outside London it's very hard to to without a car because there's virtually no public transport. But in London she might do better on the bus if you are close to the bus routes on DKH

You did well. My Mum only stopped when it became clear that she would fail her eyesight tests and be stopped.

I know that my re-action speeds fell in my 50s. My Mum in her 70s and 80s was forever being taken by surprise by other road users "Where did that lorry come from?". Always other people's fault for creeping up on her and "appearing out of nowhere"

Yes, you did very well.

This has become a major problem for many families, including mine. An obvious need for legislation (both for mandatory re-testing and mandatory reporting by GPs of failing health to DVLA). Many elderly drivers are very good drivers and will easily pass such tests; but many are not, as the tragic cases reported in the news indicate.

The good relations of my own family have been at severe risk from this. A parent who should not drive (believe me), but who is convinced that they are absolutely fine. A GP who felt their duty of care was to support the expressed interests of the patient not the wider community, despite the overwhelming medical evidence. Persuasion fails. Then what do you do?

Now in my '50s I have become father to my parents: they do not take kindly to it.

If you are concerned about elderly drivers, notify the DVLA directly (and anonymously) here https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/dvla/en/drivers_med_03.html

Or tell the driver's GP of your concerns and they (should) notify DVLA which would result in an instant revocation.

(Bagpipes full credit to you, if my MIL was moving in a parking permit would be the last thing on my mind!).

Jennys Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I suspect the doctor would not speak to family

> members only to their named patient. But worth a

> try.

You are correct Jennys, and we did try. I do not blame the GP: they rightly have their own ethical code and (to be clear) I do not want my GP sharing my own medical info with anyone - that is, unless it is a matter of law (as it is, for example, with infectious diseases for the sake of the wider community). That it is not in this case makes matters very difficult. And no, Lowlander, my experience (of course this may not be a general rule) is that they will not notify DVLA on their own initiative, on the same principle.

I take the point about the anonymous notification. However, the obvious problem is that then the question will arise as to who did the notification. It will not have been the GP under the current law ...