Advice for nervous new cyclist

After years of debating, I've finally bitten the bullet and am going to cycle to work in Canary Wharf from ED. Would appreciate any tips on routes to take - avoiding traffic as much as possible. I was thinking of using the new superhighways for most of the way, but unsure how best to get to where it starts at Elephant from Burgess Park avoiding the scary junctions. Or should I go another way? Also, what should I be aware of as a new addition to London's roads? I know of two cyclists that have been killed so am very nervous, but determined to make it work.

Good luck! To get to Elephant from Burgess Park, leave at the exit next to the BMX track and ride straight up Portland Street (quiet and speed controlled). At the end of the street take the cycle cutthrough to the right and cross over Rodney Street into Rodney Place, at the end of that join the pavement cycle lane along NKR to Elephant.

Once you're on the segregated lanes you have two choices, you can turn right onto Webber Street about a third of the way up Blackfriars Bridge Road and follow Quietway 1 through to Greenwich, then go through the footunnel and round to Canary Wharf, but I'd say the far better choice for you would be to go over Blackfriars Bridge, follow the segregated highway to Tower Hill then join the one down Royal Mint Street and Cable Street, over the Limehouse Link, then you only have to ride 100 yards or so of Narrow Street (safe and quiet) before you can cut into Dunbar Wharf on your right and ride the last small stretch on the riverside. Really hard to imagine a safer or indeed more pleasurable ride for any London commute!

In general terms, obviously despite some publicity against recently you're best off wearing a helmet and some form of high-vis (anyone who disagrees, let's not argue about it here!), be positive with all your hand signals and road positioning, never ride up the inside of large vehicles...that's about it really! If you want to get a bit more confidence before you start avail yourself of some of Southwark's excellent free cycle training: Mrs H did two sessions, one off road and one on road, and they turned her from a nervous wobbler into a confident rider virtually overnight http://www.2.southwark.gov.uk/info/200123/cycling/446/cycle_with_confidence

Good luck and enjoy, with that route I'm sure you'll become addicted in no time and wonder why you ever used any other form of transport.

ETA: Really sorry that you've known two cyclists who've been killed, desperately unlucky - I have lots of friends who cycle and not only do I not know anybody who's been killed in London, I don't know anybody who knows anybody, or even knows anybody who knows anybody...mile for mile, you're more likely to be killed as a pedestrian than a cyclist.

Another recommendation for the free cycle training courses run by Southwark, as well as other boroughs. Six months ago I got two individual, 3-hour sessions (yes, 3 hours!) with an expert instructor who was terrific. They certainly helped me get back into the saddle for my daily commute.

A tip: I've heard you can register for the courses not only with your home address but also (legitimately) with your work address so, if you commute to another borough, you could get up to 12 hours of private lessons for free!

And a third recommendation for the council cycle training. My lovely instructor helped me find a commute route and showed me all the tricky spots. My confidence and road awareness was ten times better by the end of the sessions.

Only other bit of advice is to enjoy it

Going via Elephant will add some unnecessary distance as it takes you in the wrong direction from Portland St/Burgess Park. I'd look for a cycle lane or quiet route through Borough/Rotherhithe to London Bridge or Tower Bridge.

Or go via Greenwich foot tunnel, but that's a less scenic route - lots of suburbia and not much Riverside.

Many thanks to the person who suggested the Bike Train. The first of the regular weekly Wednesday rides is next Wednesday April 5th and full details are here: https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/events/award-winning-bike-train-returns/

We've taken people on to Canary Wharf if that would be helpful or we can try and find you a Bike Buddy to show you the way.

The route as ably described by rendelharris is here:

If our times or dates don't suit you probably best to try it out at the weekend so you get the timing right. Cycling is usually a lot quicker than anyone expects. Also this route is pretty congested at times during the week. I always tell people that from the north end of Rye Lane the main hazard is other cyclists.

We will also show you a safe way round the part-closure of Surrey Canal Path just on the off-chance that it doesn't open as planned on Saturday. You can pm me for more info or any assistance you need although lots of good advice seems to be coming your way on here

Blackcurrant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Going via Elephant will add some unnecessary

> distance as it takes you in the wrong direction

> from Portland St/Burgess Park. I'd look for a

> cycle lane or quiet route through

> Borough/Rotherhithe to London Bridge or Tower

> Bridge.

>

> Or go via Greenwich foot tunnel, but that's a less

> scenic route - lots of suburbia and not much

> Riverside.

Not to be contrarian, and yes going via Elephant/Blackfriars will add about an extra 1.5 miles to going directly over Tower Bridge, but it will all be on totally segregated cycle lanes. I would most emphatically not recommend Tower Bridge or London Bridge, nor the junctions at both ends of them, to a nervous new rider when adding ten minutes to the journey removes the need to share a space with motor traffic anywhere between Elephant and Limehouse.

You do indeed have to walk the foot tunnel at Greenwich (and carry your bike down the steps if the lift is out). Many seem to ignore that, which I find intensely annoying!

The route that TFL's journey planner suggests for this is pretty much what I'd do, it's all on quite quiet streets apart from where you cross over New Cross Road (just get off and walk it over if it's hairy). I don't know a nice route the other site, but there may well be one. Going along the A1206 is ok until an ugly roundabout, though.

A nice route I have used to Canary Wharf is to go across Peckham Rye and through the back streets to Ladywell; up the Ravensbourne riverside route (not always by the river!) to Elverson Rd, then cross the DLR on the bridge there and through back streets again to Greenwich and the Thames foot tunnel. It isn't strictly the most direct route - though certainly shorter and less stressful than going via E&C! - but you can whittle it down as you get more confident. One of the incidental pleasures of cycling to work is exploring alternative routes and discovering new streets.

katanita Wrote:

> You do indeed have to walk the foot tunnel at

> Greenwich (and carry your bike down the steps if

> the lift is out). Many seem to ignore that, which

> I find intensely annoying!

>

> The route that TFL's journey planner suggests for

> this is pretty much what I'd do, it's all on quite

> quiet streets apart from where you cross over New

> Cross Road (just get off and walk it over if it's

> hairy). I don't know a nice route the other site,

> but there may well be one. Going along the A1206

> is ok until an ugly roundabout, though.

The foottunnel have been trialling a system for a long while that automatically counts the numbers of cyclists and pedestrians present - when it's safe to cycle the signs read "Consider pedestrians" and when not "Cyclists dismount" - but apparently it is still a trial so yes you are supposed to walk (I do when there are any pedestrians present, I ride when (for example early Sunday mornings) there's nobody there. This thread reminded me to email Greenwich to ask when, if ever, this system will go live, I'll report back if there's a response.

I must say (in response to Tom) I now find E&C completely unstressful - ride (legally) across the plaza in front of the Faraday memorial, cross over at the Toucan crossing, up St.George's Road (segregated) to join the Blackfriars Bridge Road segregated lane, no sharing with motors at all, it's a joy (in my opinion)!

rendelharris Wrote:

> Blackcurrant Wrote:

> ------

> Not to be contrarian, and yes going via

> Elephant/Blackfriars will add about an extra 1.5

> miles to going directly over Tower Bridge, but it

> will all be on totally segregated cycle lanes. I

> would most emphatically not recommend Tower Bridge

> or London Bridge, nor the junctions at both ends

> of them, to a nervous new rider when adding ten

> minutes to the journey removes the need to share a

> space with motor traffic anywhere between Elephant

> and Limehouse.

Even if you want to stick to segregated cycle lanes, looping via blackfriars is daft when you can cross at Southwark Bridge.

Blackcurrant Wrote:

> rendelharris Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Blackcurrant Wrote:

> > ------

> > Not to be contrarian, and yes going via

> > Elephant/Blackfriars will add about an extra

> 1.5

> > miles to going directly over Tower Bridge, but

> it

> > will all be on totally segregated cycle lanes.

> I

> > would most emphatically not recommend Tower

> Bridge

> > or London Bridge, nor the junctions at both

> ends

> > of them, to a nervous new rider when adding ten

> > minutes to the journey removes the need to share

> a

> > space with motor traffic anywhere between

> Elephant

> > and Limehouse.

>

> Even if you want to stick to segregated cycle

> lanes, looping via blackfriars is daft when you

> can cross at Southwark Bridge.

Thanks for that, contrary to popular opinion I'm not entirely stupid - of course going by Southwark Bridge is shorter (only by about 0.7 of a mile, or about three minutes for a very moderate pedaller) but although there's a segregated cycle lane on Southwark Bridge there's none leading up to it, so to get there the OP would have to mix with heavy traffic and cross several busy junctions, something s/he specifically said s/he wanted to avoid. Cautious, as requested by the OP, but not, I would submit, daft.

What a helpful bunch you all are - many many thanks for the various suggestions.

I filed my Cycle to Work application yesterday and am now waiting for the certificate to be issued. Off on holiday with the kids for a fortnight from next week, so probably won't start cycling until after Easter. But your comments have really got me motivated. I'm going to try all your route suggestions over time (and once I build up confidence) to see what works best for me. Will probably start with Surrey Canal Path > Elephant > North-South Superhighway > East-West Superhighway > Canary Wharf to begin with - I know it is longer, but I'm in no rush, nervous about traffic and a bit of extra exercise is good.

I am going to book a session with Cycle Confident as soon as I get my bike, and may even join the Bike Train on my first day.

Thank you all once again.

> Thanks for that, contrary to popular opinion I'm

> not entirely stupid - of course going by Southwark

> Bridge is shorter (only by about 0.7 of a mile, or

> about three minutes for a very moderate pedaller)

> but although there's a segregated cycle lane on

> Southwark Bridge there's none leading up to it, so

> to get there the OP would have to mix with heavy

> traffic and cross several busy junctions,

> something s/he specifically said s/he wanted to

> avoid. Cautious, as requested by the OP, but not,

> I would submit, daft.

Anyone who can get to Rodney place without segregated lanes can cope with the backstreets leading to Southwark bridge Rd.

Incidentally I wouldn't recommend E&C to a nervous cyclist. It's much improved but not fully segregated and definitely not for the faint hearted. There are very easy ways to avoid it on traffic free backstreets.

I ride from Nunhead to Canary Wharf. The Greenwich tunnel is definitely the way to go - slightly a pain waiting for the lift and then walking, but it's really not that much of a bother. I have a friend who used to ride through the Rotherhithe tunnel, but that would be horrible.

It's a long way out of the way to go up to E&C. I have a fairly direct route from the south of Nunhead to Greenwich which avoids most of the main roads, but it takes some planning because there are no proper cycle paths.

I ride down St Norbert Road to Brockely, then Malpas Road (can be a bit busy, but not terrible), Florence Road, Herald Street, Tanner's Hill, brings you out to New Cross Road, which is busy and requires some care. Left onto Deptford Church Street (it's wide so generally ok) and then right at the first roundabout around Creekside then Copperas (the building works there are now a bit of a pain, but ok). Then you can either turn right along Creek Rd to Greenwich (busier) or when I started riding there I would go straight across the pedestrian crossing and onto the path along the Thames, which leads to the tunnel at Greenwich. This works out pretty well with the only really messy bit being New Cross Road.

Depending on where you are in ED you won't want to ride up the hill to join my route from the start, but you can probably pick out a route across Peckham Rye Common, through the backstreets of Nunhead (avoiding Evelina Road), and over to Brockely.

Good luck - don't be put off - I love cycling in London.

Blackcurrant Wrote:

> Anyone who can get to Rodney place without

> segregated lanes can cope with the backstreets

> leading to Southwark bridge Rd.

>

> Incidentally I wouldn't recommend E&C to a nervous

> cyclist. It's much improved but not fully

> segregated and definitely not for the faint

> hearted. There are very easy ways to avoid it on

> traffic free backstreets.

There's nothing in the route to Rodney Place comparable to the junctions on Southwark Bridge Road nor the pinch points leading up to the cycle lane on the bridge. I've taken several nervous cyclists round Elephant and Castle recently and if you know what you're doing it's incredibly safe - the only non-segregated stretch is the 100 yards leading to Walworth Road, which the OP wouldn't be using anyway.

Rather than somewhat obsessively coming on here and telling me I'm wrong and daft why don't you just let the OP choose their preferred route?

rendelharris Wrote:

> Just to note re something I mentioned above, I had

> a response from Greenwich today saying that though

> they are working to change the bylaws it's a

> lengthy legal process and so cycling is still not

> permitted in the foottunnel, but it will be - no

> word on when though!

Everyone used to scoot along with one foot on the pedal

when I lived there 10 years ago.

That place could be so lonely after midnight :)