Dulwich Physic Garden

Hi All

Just a reminder that we have a lovely Physic Garden in the front of Dulwich Hospital, East Dulwich Grove.

Its a community physic garden, please help yourself to the herbs. Each raised bed has different themes, for example herbs to help you sleep, herbs to help with headaches and digestive herbs.The herbs are meant for topical use and not internal use. So inhalations or cushions made with the herbs.

The Garden was installed 2011/2012 for the community, it would be great to see the garden being used.

Thanks

Yes, Southwark NHS has agreed to permanently relocate beds to the entrance at front of the new medical centre as a landscaping feature where patients can sit.

FYI, these aren't cooking herbs per se, but medicinal herbs which support the health theme.

alice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> wont the whole thing get dug up with the changes

> planned there?

If the beds are being relocated surely they will also relocate the plants?

It will cost them an arm and a leg to replace them all.

I have a vested interest as we held a benefit gig for this garden many moons ago :)

The Physic Garden is managed by the nearby Vale Residents Association, here is the link to the Physic Garden aspect of their website, with contact details:-

http://www.se22valeresidents.org.uk/the-physic-garden/

At the moment, only rosemary and sage are "ripe", but I would email them to ask how they should be picked in general as some of the plants are a bit weird... nothing is charged for per se, it's a community initiative.

Yes, Sue did an amazing benefit gig to get the whole thing set up (which is also explained on the website) and then the construction services donated their time (only charging for supplies), as do the community gardeners.

The beds were planted in the knowledge that the plants would have to be moved at some point and are being cultivated with a view towards being transplanted into the new beds approximately 20 feet away on the other side of the wall (once the wall exists)... my understanding is that the number of beds will be reduced, supplemented by a tiny "village green" the size of a postage stamp, where patients can sit.

The demolition team is really lovely, trying not to destroy anything as they work.

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > The OP says "please help yourself to the

> herbs"...

>

> Not sure that Monica has this right.

Hi

The community physic garden is what it actually says on the tin:) its a community garden you can use.

My participation in the project was applying for funds to develop the garden, I also asked Mc Govern Design and Build to build and install the raised beds, which they did for free.

We also applied for work in kind from Groundwork Southwark to help us with growing the herbs and running workshops on the medicinal use of herbs.

Thanks

Hi edhistory

The whole point of having a community garden is for the community to enjoy the garden, part of that is picking herbs, they can use for culinary and medicinal purposes. I don't think people are going to destroy the garden. Unfortunately the garden has been under used and we would the community to use the garden. The herbs are free, the reception staff in the hospital are not part of the garden team, however I am sure they are enjoying the garden.:)))))

Maybe under used because like me many might have thought that cd only pick herbs if had participoated in the planting. Was there today and whilst waiting for hubbie to get the wheelchair ramp down in paking spaces for disabled at main entrance I zoomed over to see how the garden was doing, didn't say any signs saying we cd pick a few sprigs. Admittedly was from a distance but hadn't seen any previously either.

I believe there are times when herbs should be picked to give optimum potency, picked at the wrong time of year they will be ineffective. Most plants need to be cut back in an organised fashion rather than just random picking.

Bear in mind that the purpose of many of the medicinal herbs grown in a Physic Garden are to make poultices and balms, not necessarily to eat. Although I regularly volunteer for watering and leaf-picking, I wouldn't feel confident enough to advise visitors as to which herbs could be picked to be eaten.

Last week, when we were watering, one of the Vale RA experienced gardeners gave some herbs to two visitors who requested them but, when I am there on my own, I tend to decline to do this.

Instead I recommend that interested consumers attend on the first Monday of the month from around 5pm onwards, as I posted above.

Once the temporary hoarding is replaced, the noticeboard can be rehung and more information posted. On the other hand, so much is in transition now, even this year's new plantings are being planned with a view towards moving to the new beds, hopefully next year.