Mugging Whateley Road 07/04

I was mugged at 11pm tonight at the top of Whateley Road. Two male afro caribbean youths. They ran down Whateley Road towards Lordship Lane. It was a very polite and non-eventful mugging and so I doubt they are violent - although one of them seemed a little agitated. They only took some cash, not my bag or phone.

I've reported it to police but just thought I'd put the word out on here.

yep, really sorry to hear you were mugged, hope you're OK, scum like this who attack a lone female need to be taken off the street, please give the Police as much info as possible, re: descriptions. take care.

I feel that the whole area has become darker and quieter with the loss of the police station on Whateley Rd and with many local shops turned into housing. This trend is continuing, with the anticipated loss of the hustle and bustle and familiarity of the friendly sorting office.These changes have an important negative effect. More ED sites earmarked for housing in the Southwark Development Plan.

Really sorry to hear what happened to you Lynsey, glad you're ok!

As for the comments regarding Whateley Road being a dark and dangerous place I think we all need to get a grip and stop scaremongering. It's well lit and unlike many streets in ED is on a busy Bus route. I don't presume to know any facts of this incident other than those stated but one would assume this is more of an opportunist mugging than the new norm for Whateley road.

Captain Kernow Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As for the comments regarding Whateley Road being

> a dark and dangerous place I think we all need to

> get a grip and stop scaremongering. It's well lit

> and unlike many streets in ED is on a busy Bus

> route. I don't presume to know any facts of this

> incident other than those stated but one would

> assume this is more of an opportunist mugging than

> the new norm for Whateley road.

I agree.

I often walk down Whateley Road, including at night, and this incident won't stop me doing that.

Muggings can happen anywhere. In this case one unfortunately happened here.

That doesn't mean Whateley Road has suddenly become a hotbed of crime.

I hope you're OK, LynseyR, horrible thing to happen.

"one would assume this is more of an opportunist mugging than the new norm for Whateley road."

There's no new norm, it's same old same old actually.

Given there's a thread on this forum already about infrequency of P13s, Whateley Rd is hardly the super-highway for buses and passing traffic, especially at night !

Foxy may have over-egged it a bit, but he does have a point actually IMO.

In the last 17yrs I've had three seperate occasions where there's been an attempted mugging or start of same on Whateley Rd.

This could be because I use it frequently daily, so am more likely to be exposed to the occurence, but it is definitely a street where unfortunately these events CONTINUE to happen.

If I remember correctly, Mr. Ben (previous EDF member) was mugged on junction of Fellbrigg and Whateley Rds, he got quite injured if memory serves.

Let's not down play that particular location as being safe or even as safe as many other streets, because it ain't.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> Lynsey - hope you're doing ok .Thank you for

> explaining the nature of the robbery ,ie non

> violent . I think that's helpful and honest .

I am pleased no one was hurt and OP did the very sensible thing by handing over cash without argument. But there is no such thing as a non-violent mugging. The cash wouldn't have been handed over without the threat of violence.

KidKruger Wrote:

> "one would assume this is more of an opportunist

> mugging than the new norm for Whateley road."

>

> There's no new norm, it's same old same old

> actually.

> Given there's a thread on this forum already about

> infrequency of P13s, Whateley Rd is hardly the

> super-highway for buses and passing traffic,

> especially at night !

>

> Foxy may have over-egged it a bit, but he does

> have a point actually IMO.

> In the last 17yrs I've had three seperate

> occasions where there's been an attempted mugging

> or start of same on Whateley Rd.

> This could be because I use it frequently daily,

> so am more likely to be exposed to the occurence,

> but it is definitely a street where unfortunately

> these events CONTINUE to happen.

> If I remember correctly, Mr. Ben (previous EDF

> member) was mugged on junction of Fellbrigg and

> Whateley Rds, he got quite injured if memory

> serves.

>

> Let's not down play that particular location as

> being safe or even as safe as many other streets,

> because it ain't.

3 times in 17yrs hardly makes it dark and dangerous. I won't fall into the classic EDF, "I've lived here for this amount of time so I know better" argument. I'm simply saying that as a Whateley Road resident I dont feel it's an unsafe road. I think you'd be hard pushed to find any location in London that's 100% safe, but in the same vein as not playing it down as safe I'd ask you not to play it up as the new (or old if you've lived here man and boy) battlefront for crime in ED.

We have a friendly group of neighbours who look out for each other, I'm sure there would be a good argument for a street party if the P13 wasn't up and down- Although as you've mentioned it's now become as elusive as the bleddy Beast of Bodmin Moor.

Feel free to pop in for a Pasty and chat when you're next waiting for a bus.

Not to take sides, but it?s interesting that Charles Booth?s ?poverty map? of East Dulwich in 1900 shows a section of Whateley Road to be the only bit of East Dulwich classified as ?Very poor, casual. Chronic want.? Just one step up from the worst classification ? ?Lowest class. Vicious, semi-criminal.? Most of East Dulwich at that time was comfortably off but not well off. Of course, Booth and his researchers showed prejudices that we might find unacceptable these days, but it?s a fascinating map. And it?s worth looking at the notebooks too ? the local ED copper who accompanied the researcher is amusingly snobbish :-)

https://booth.lse.ac.uk/map/16/-0.0784/51.4569/100/0