Potentially dangerous exposed metal cables in Goose Green adventure playground

The fabric from the foot holds/treads on the infant play structure in Goose Green adventure playground, have been in sorry state for a while now.

One of the handles was broken for absolutely ages, and now had been replaced - hurrah! However, the fabric from the foot rest underneath has worn off, exposing the metal cable strands below, including sharp pieces sticking out (see pics), waiting to shorts the legs of any child who slips onto it. I ended up having to move my shorts-wearing son away.

The other net-style foot/hand holds are suffering similarly, and have been patched up with duct tape, which is also wearing through.

Does anyone know who to contact about this? I don't understand how the hanging handles can have been replaced, without anyone doing anything about the rest of the apparatus, which is in such a visibly bad state?

Cheers, Tara.

Does anyone know who to contact about this? I don't understand how the hanging handles can have been replaced, without anyone doing anything about the rest of the apparatus, which is in such a visibly bad state?

_____You'd hope that the contractors/supervisor would have a quick scoot around to see if there are any other problems, but I doubt it happens. I bet they get given a task, finish it, then go home, which could well have more to do with council procedure than any lack of initiative (perhaps).

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> _____You'd hope that the contractors/supervisor

> would have a quick scoot around to see if there

> are any other problems, but I doubt it happens. I

> bet they get given a task, finish it, then go

> home, which could well have more to do with

> council procedure than any lack of initiative

> (perhaps).

The cable I photographed - with the wire poking out - is actually situated *below* the new handles.. they can't have missed it really :-(

Thanks very much for alerting us to this issue. I've spoken to our parks team and they have informed me that officers have inspected the equipment today and removed the defective rope ladder for safety.

Replacement parts have been ordered and we will endeavour to repair the apparatus as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Louise Neilan

Media Manager, Southwark Council

Thank you for the swift response, Louise.

Although the rope ladder is clearly in need of repair, it's the bit underneath the two new handles that has the exposed metal wires sticking out. Can you please confirm that has been attended to, also?

Thanks, Tara.

In future you can use this email address: [email protected]

Put 'dangerous structure in children's playground' in the subject and it is always dealt with within 24hrs. I've done this several times. What would obviously be better is if the council proactively monitored their sites for defective equipment but I guess we generally have to do it for them.