Motorbike parking alternatives?

Hi everyone, I've been riding a battered old 125 for the past few months and have been happy to risk parking it on-street (with chain and disc lock).

I've now got my full licence and looking to get a bigger bike, however I'm worried about leaving it on-street. Does anyone know an alternative? I'm thinking:

- is there a communal bike parking area where risk of theft may be lower?

- does anyone have a garage/lockup I could rent nearby to CP road?

- what do other riders in ED do to avoid motorbike theft??

The Council rents some garages. I registered my interest a while back but never heard back.

I shared my two cents on motorcycle security here: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1765269,1797549#msg-1797549

Do you have a driveway where you could leave your bike?

What bikes are you considering? Have you got any insurance quotes yet? Do you have an idea how much it would cost you to insure a bike left on the road?

DulwichLondoner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Council rents some garages. I registered my

> interest a while back but never heard back.

>

> I shared my two cents on motorcycle security here:

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5

> ,1765269,1797549#msg-1797549

>

> Do you have a driveway where you could leave your

> bike?

>

> What bikes are you considering? Have you got any

> insurance quotes yet? Do you have an idea how much

> it would cost you to insure a bike left on the

> road?

Yeah when I moved to the area (about 12 months ago) I registered interest but never heard back either.

Thanks for the link, will have a read. No driveway available sadly.

In terms of bikes, theres a fairly new Yam XJ6 I have my eye on, which is in my price range and fits my requirements. Not that desirable but maybe enough for someone to go to some effort to get. Other option is to get an much older ER5/CB500/GS500 but then it's not a whole lot cheaper and you get a lot less bike and potentially some issues.

On road insurance is looking around ?600+... that's being a brand new A licence holder, many years car NCB (not sure if this actually has an impact)

If you'll be using it for commuting in city traffic, my advice is:

* go for something with an upright position (no sportsbikes). Less strain on your wrist, from the constant pressure of braking all the time in traffic, you dominate the traffic ahead better, and have a better field of view when you do a lifesaver (turn your head to the side)

* consider how hot certain engines run. Powerful, sporty bikes may become very inconvenient to ride in city traffic during the summer as you feel your legs boiling.

* ignore those who say topboxes are ugly (yes, they are) but get one anyway to carry a big U-lock with you, to store your helmet when you're out and about, etc.

Of course this is just my two cents; these are my personal preferences, but it's all very subjective.

DL is right. Also, a cover, bulky alarmed chain/lock and an alarmed disc lock. The current MO of thieves is to break the ignition/steering lock and wheel the thing away. Make it as hard as possible. Don't forget to take the disc lock off though before you ride!

benfaulkner Wrote:

> In terms of bikes, theres a fairly new Yam XJ6 I

> have my eye on, which is in my price range and

> fits my requirements. Not that desirable but maybe

> enough for someone to go to some effort to get.

> Other option is to get an much older

> ER5/CB500/GS500 but then it's not a whole lot

> cheaper and you get a lot less bike and

> potentially some issues.

It's a while since my (motorised) biking days but I'd strongly advise against an ER5 - my experience was they handle like a pig and aren't too reliable (but they're popular so maybe I rode bad ones). CB500s are great and just about bulletproof. Dakar type bikes - BMW F650 for example - are comfortable in traffic and have a good high riding position. My sister had the unfaired version of Suzuki's SV650 and that seemed to me one of the best compromises I'd seen of relatively sporty performance with a comfortable commute.

Just my tuppence worth, as I say it was a while ago.

ETA Might not fit your requirements, but the one time I rode a Honda Varadero 125 I was really impressed with the quality (well it's Honda) and surprising punch, if all you want to do is commute in London you could do a lot worse and obviously there are massive insurance advantages...

rendelharris Wrote:

> benfaulkner Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > In terms of bikes, theres a fairly new Yam XJ6

> I

> > have my eye on, which is in my price range and

> > fits my requirements. Not that desirable but

> maybe

> > enough for someone to go to some effort to get.

> > Other option is to get an much older

> > ER5/CB500/GS500 but then it's not a whole lot

> > cheaper and you get a lot less bike and

> > potentially some issues.

>

> It's a while since my (motorised) biking days but

> I'd strongly advise against an ER5 - my experience

> was they handle like a pig and aren't too reliable

> (but they're popular so maybe I rode bad ones).

> CB500s are great and just about bulletproof.

> Dakar type bikes - BMW F650 for example - are

> comfortable in traffic and have a good high riding

> position. My sister had the unfaired version of

> Suzuki's SV650 and that seemed to me one of the

> best compromises I'd seen of relatively sporty

> performance with a comfortable commute.

>

> Just my tuppence worth, as I say it was a while

> ago.

Thanks for the replies all, I don't currently have a cover so will definitely invest in one.

rendelharris - thanks for the comments.. especially on the ER5. I've actually trained and am taking my test on the new SV650 and really love it. I think the XJ6 will be similar!

James Barber Wrote:

> Anyone not heard aback about renting a garage get

> in touch and I'll find out for you.

Thanks James I have sent a PM. Cheers all for the useful suggestions. hopefully the level of motorbike crime will not be increasing over the summer months

This is the feedback I've had:

"

[Your constituent] current position on the garage waiting list is 214th for the Dulwich area.

When prospective garage tenants apply we inform them that there is a wait for a garage and that we are unable to ascertain how long they may wait.

Once someone rents a garage from the council they may keep it for a couple of months or many years, thus making it difficult to say how long the wait will be.

As soon as a garage becomes available we contact the person at the top of the waiting list for the area specified, offering them the garage, if they do not take up the offer we go to the next person on the list and so on.

The waiting list changes rapidly with people being assigned a garage and new people being added to the waiting list which would make it very difficult to keep everyone informed of their position on a regular basis.

"

It might be worth you asking, possibly via this forum, if any current garage renters wish to share especially if they're only keeping a motorbike in a garage.

I ride a Piaggio MP3 300 to work everyday and love it, so comfy and handles really well i also don't have a bike licence as its classed as a trike and it covers me on my car licence.

If anyone works near Holborn i can offer 1 person free parking in a secure private car park as i know how unsafe it is to leave the bike chained outside.

I'm afraid you'll have to live with the increased risk of motorcycle theft and and around london I as I have experience several times already. Be prepared with several locks. best investment for me however was a tracker.

benfaulkner Wrote:

> James Barber Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Anyone not heard aback about renting a garage

> get

> > in touch and I'll find out for you.

>

> Thanks James I have sent a PM. Cheers all for the

> useful suggestions. hopefully the level of

> motorbike crime will not be increasing over the

> summer months

benfaulkner Wrote:

> - what do other riders in ED do to avoid motorbike theft??

Congrats on getting your licence.

Personally, the thing I do is have a wander round my street and have a look at everyone else's bike security. I try to make my own security better than enough of the others that hopefully mine will be low on the steal list. I reckon mine is currently the 12th most nickable bike in my road. (All the more secure ones are parked right under people's windows, on crunchy gravel drives covered with motion sensitive security lights. You and I can't compete with that.)

Mine is chained to a post that I reckon will withstand freeze and angle grinder attacks. Chain is good although not quite uncroppable, but high enough off the ground to be a pain to crop, and as the links are rounded rather than squared it will be harder to get the first 'bite' with croppers. Kryptonite disk lock, can probably be cut with a portable grinder in 20 seconds but at least it means a thief with croppers alone can't take it. Tracker is the next thing - i've got one ready to fit. A determined thief knows how to block the signal instantly though, using equipment available in Poundland, so they can poke around and check for trackers at their leisure later. Luckily most of them don't do that, and prefer to park it up dor a day and see if anyone comes to recover it.

The main thing is to find something substantial to chain to, with a decent chain (Almax or Pragmasis are good, Oxford is poor) so the thing can't be lifted into a van.

Apparently the scumbags will steal practically anything, so I wouldn't get a crappy bike in the vain hope of putting them off.

A good suggestion I read somewhere was to wrap a band round the horn switch, as a simple alarm for when the ignition is on. Just as long as you remember before you turn the key yourself in the mornings!

Best of luck.

peckham_ryu Wrote:

> Mine is chained to a post that I reckon will

> withstand freeze and angle grinder attacks. Chain

> is good although not quite uncroppable

I must say I am confused. Why do you think your chain is croppable but would withstand an angle grinder?

AFAIK chains with links >= 16mm (Almax and Pragmasis) are almost impossible to boltcrop, whereas nothing can withstand an angle grinder - it's just a matter of time.

DulwichLondoner Wrote:

> peckham_ryu Wrote:

>

> > Mine is chained to a post that I reckon will

> > withstand freeze and angle grinder attacks.

> Chain

> > is good although not quite uncroppable

>

> I must say I am confused. Why do you think your

> chain is croppable but would withstand an angle

> grinder?

> AFAIK chains with links >= 16mm (Almax and

> Pragmasis) are almost impossible to boltcrop,

> whereas nothing can withstand an angle grinder -

> it's just a matter of time.

I'd guess s/he means the post would withstand an angle grinder, rather than the chain?

DulwichLondoner Wrote:

> But no one would try cutting the post instead of

> the chain! :)

Depends - I've heard of people losing bicycles that they've locked to railings with top notch U-locks and a gang cutting through the railings rather than the lock, presumably it being quicker, sling the bike on a van then cut through the lock at their leisure elsewhere. A mate once lost a nice bike (pushbike) he'd chained to a no entry sign, the buggers had unscrewed the sign at the top of the post and lifted the bike, lock and all, over the top. An organised gang with a van to carry off their ill-gotten gains will hit whatever looks weakest and take the least time to break so they can be away before anyone starts a fuss...even heard tell of them cutting though the frames of expensive bikes with good locks so they can make off with the components. Bastards!

A few more thoughts:

* the clutch. Don't underestimate the importance of a bike with a clutch that does not require a bodybuilder's strength - when commuting you'll be pulling or slipping it more often than not

* I find a digital speedometer more convenient, especially with the almost ubiquitous 20mph limits, because a quick glance lets me understand immediately if I am within the limit or not, whereas with an analog speedometer it's not as immediate

Welcome to the biker community. Datatag is important. If your bike is stolen and the police are awake when it is found they can scan it to see if it has datatag on it. Fork out for the best locks that MCN and everyone reckons is the best one.

Motorcycle Action Group: Join it (please everyone!)

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> Welcome to the biker community. Datatag is

> important. If your bike is stolen and the police

> are awake when it is found they can scan it to see

> if it has datatag on it. Fork out for the best

> locks that MCN and everyone reckons is the best

> one.

>

> Motorcycle Action Group: Join it (please

> everyone!)

Thanks yep ordered a data tag kit. What are people's thoughts on 3rd party alarms, like the below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Scooter-Compact/dp/B00L5P4GAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492974284&sr=8-1&keywords=motorbike+alarm

Seems to have quite good reviews

DulwichLondoner Wrote:

> A few more thoughts:

>

> * the clutch. Don't underestimate the importance

> of a bike with a clutch that does not require a

> bodybuilder's strength - when commuting you'll be

> pulling or slipping it more often than not

>

> * I find a digital speedometer more convenient,

> especially with the almost ubiquitous 20mph

> limits, because a quick glance lets me understand

> immediately if I am within the limit or not,

> whereas with an analog speedometer it's not as

> immediate

Totally agree on point one, keep the cable loobed. I ended up with an arm problem when I didn't.

and..

Totally disagree on point two. I can read a dial instantly at a glance if the needle is past the mark, without having to actually read it. Your mileage may vary.

I'm a daily commuter on an old Fazer600 which is light enough to be great round town, and scruffy enough not to attract too much attention. It also has enough oomph to maintain "motorway cruising speeds" on a bank holiday trip to the coast.

Don't buy something you'll be bored with or outgrow powerwise in six months.