Noise from water pressure

HelBel65

Hi all

When the shower or taps are turned on in the flat upstairs there is an audible hum or whine which wakes us up every morning. It gets gradually louder, to the point it becomes an earworm. According to a plumber we spoke to, this is caused by water pressure and nothing can be done. I have never come across the noise anywhere else which makes me wonder if there might be additional issues particular to this property which are causing the noise. The problem seems to be specifically the flat upstairs which is owned by an absentee and unhelpful landlord who seems to think we have to just put up with it - does anyone have any experience of this, and got any advice? Overhill Road.

Thanks!

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are you sure it's not a shower pump? Those can be

> noisy, particularly if they aren't put onto some

> sort of noise insulation pad.

It's not a mechanical noise, just a hum or whine....

One cause (I know cos I fixed a 2yr seemingly unsolvable niggle with it recently) that is possible, but by no means definitely the cause, is the kitchen (or other) mixer tap washer is eroded. This can cause shocking sounds in the pipes. When I looked into cost of ordering a new mixer tap ceramic washer specifically for my model, I just went and got a new tap. Guess what, problem gone.

You could ask upstairs to work with you on it, bring them down to hear the noise, and once you've identified which device is causing it then fix / replace it.

So that's one possible way out of this.

ETA: if we turned on either shower or bathroom taps it would start the banging, which was caused by air being sucked in through the kitchen mixer tap due to the eroded ceramic washer allowing the draw of water on other water outlets to create that suction.

I can recommend Lee Garvey for this- we had the same problem with our pipes making a humming/whining noise when the tap was turned on and it was something to do with the water tank in our loft and the water pressure. He managed to identify the problem and fix it so maybe give him a call- 07881277385.

KidKruger Wrote:

> One cause (I know cos I fixed a 2yr seemingly

> unsolvable niggle with it recently) that is

> possible, but by no means definitely the cause, is

> the kitchen (or other) mixer tap washer is eroded.

> This can cause shocking sounds in the pipes. When

> I looked into cost of ordering a new mixer tap

> ceramic washer specifically for my model, I just

> went and got a new tap. Guess what, problem gone.

> You could ask upstairs to work with you on it,

> bring them down to hear the noise, and once you've

> identified which device is causing it then fix /

> replace it.

> So that's one possible way out of this.

>

> ETA: if we turned on either shower or bathroom

> taps it would start the banging, which was caused

> by air being sucked in through the kitchen mixer

> tap due to the eroded ceramic washer allowing the

> draw of water on other water outlets to create

> that suction.

This - we ad exactly the same problem and solution (although lasted about 6 months before it drove us crazy enough).

KidKruger Wrote:

> elaine if you read above, you may see the cause

> already identified.

That doesn't sound the same as us, it's being investigated next week by the recommended plumber above - will report back!

• 1 month later...