Burglary today (on Dunstans Road)

Broyal

Got burgled today on Dunstans Road. Door smashed in and laptops and money stolen. Have seen a few mentions of similar burglaries so posting to posting to let everyone know. I was out for an hour and twenty minutes and several neighbours were home. Stay vigilant and make sure you lock everything!

Hi James,

Thank you for your message and the survey. Really useful. I have the Smart Water marking pen having registered a while back. Now looking to get new doors installed. Have been in my property without so much as an attempted break-in over 26 years. I hope this is a one-off!

Hi Broyal,

i hate to be negative but burglars have a propensity to repeat - not just the same victim but neighbours as well.

The latter as they think neighbours typically very similar home layout and goods. Former because you'll get replacement stuff.

if you have a wooden door frame I would suggest you get a Manchester and London bar and those bolts things that stick out from the door on hinge side that made it so much hard to break door down. Ensure you have good windows locks or bolts for sash windows.

Please do tell your neighbours - they are at risk now. And ideally they'd be 'inoculated' from this by knowing.

I really can't emphasis that to fully understand how to protect your home better this survey is the bees knees and it only takes 5 minutes - https://goo.gl/gGG3BT

Hi Lcpt,

This is terrible.

When we had this happen to us it took some time to get over it. In the mean time we installed a Manchester bar and a London bar protecting re enforcing the wooden door frame. We also added bolts projecting from the door on the hinge side. That then meant the back door needed to be looked at and window locks.

I hate to be miserable about this but burglars have a tendency to repeat on the same victims and their neighbours. So you need to upgrade your home security and tell all your neighbours so they also act to avoid becoming victims. The Met call this cocooning. The research I've read is to treat burglaries esp. as infectious diseases that we need to inoculate through home security upgrades against.