Mopeds with no number plates - lock them

Hi all. This is not a "lock 'em all up" post ! Just a suggestion for one possible option for abandoned bikes with no number plates - stick a spare lock on it. If you happen to see a moped/scooter with no number plate parked (or dumped) within a few streets of your house, one option is to pop home, grab a spare D-lock, or chain & padlock, go back to the scooter (along with a few neighbours, just in case criminal returns while you're locking it) put lock onto the wheel of the scooter. Understandably an abandoned scooter is not top of the police priority so it will take them some time (days?) to respond to a report of an abandoned vehicle. The lock just buys a bit of extra time, during which the criminal cannot use the bike. Please don't troll - I am not suggesting this is a complete or perfect solution, or that it will always be suitable, but it might make a small contribution to reducing the increasing scooter crime in our area.

Stay safe

WP

Interesting legal situation this creates. English law can be a bit of an ass about these things sometimes; honest citizens can get themselves into trouble. If a solicitor reads this it would be good to get an informed opinion.

BTW the scooters and motorbikes (and cycles, indeed) that bother me are those belting full tilt round the paths inside Peckham Rye and PR Park. One of the many cr*p aspects of living in London now is that, for example, small kids, older people and pets are not safe on footpaths. If I myself turn and move sideways on a footpath I have to think, Am I about to be hit at speed by some 'planet-saving' toss-pot on a large piece of angular metal? Secure public space is a human democratic fundamental.

Funnily enough I had same idea this afternoon when I spotted a red scooter clearly being ridden by someone who preferred not be be seen or stopped and had no number plate. I would love to have whipped a D lock on it in the few seconds he paused before weaving off through traffic.