Donations outside charity shops

Its a real bugbear of mine too- I make a point of shouting 'Thief!' or 'Bin-diver!" at people when I see them rooting through things left outside charity shops.

Breaks my heart-especially as the shops can't sell things left randomly outside in case a dog has peed on them.

Stupid lazy people who dump donations outside when the shop is closed.

Lynne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I once rescued a bag of books when it was starting

> to rain, and took them back later, but of course

> everyone must have thought I was stealing them,

> which was mildly embarrassing

Well if someone shouted abuse as you did it it was me and for that I apologise!

NewWave Wrote:

> Its a real bugbear of mine too- I make a point of

> shouting 'Thief!' or 'Bin-diver!" at people when I

> see them rooting through things left outside

> charity shops.

> Breaks my heart-especially as the shops can't sell

> things left randomly outside in case a dog has

> peed on them.

> Stupid lazy people who dump donations outside when

> the shop is closed.

NewWave, what would you like to see happen to donations left outside, since shops can't sell

them.

It is everything to do with people being lazy, or - more specifically - selfish. Stuff left outside can attract vermin and is not likely to be in a sellable condition, so leaving items outside when the shop expressly says people are not to does show a disregard for common sense. It also adds to the workload of the staff who have enough to do already.

No-one actually shouted at me, New Wave, but I appreciated it looked dodgy. But it was just starting to rain, and if I hadn't done it then, the whole bag would have been pulped. Perhaps one could carry a sign, along the lines of "I am a really nice, typical ED person,and I am doing it for really nice reasons" .

I have left things outside charity shops in the

past, knowing homeless and people who are skint will take them. I now put things on my wall for

People to help thereselves to. If people are aware

charity shops wont take anything left outside, i'd assume they are leaving it to be taken. Does anyone know what happens to donations left outside that aren't taken.

Don't assume it's the hard up taking stuff. I've seen a 4x4 stop and passenger help themselves to absolutely everything!

TE44 Wrote:

> I have left things outside charity shops in the

> past, knowing homeless and people who are skint

> will take them. I now put things on my wall for

> People to help thereselves to. If people are

> aware

> charity shops wont take anything left outside, i'd

> assume they are leaving it to be taken. Does

> anyone know what happens to donations left outside

> that aren't taken.

Siousxiesue, To be honest, I'd just rather see it

being used rather than not. I used to leave stuff

in bags tied loosely, with an extra bag, a cardboard notice asking to keep it neat.

I don't do it now as I don't want someone

getting hassled over picking up something they may

need, rather than it be chucked.

I had someone knock at my door today asking if i was selling somethings i'd put out.

I think its wrong to assume people just want something for nothing, i'd imagine some people

would give a donation if they took something

from outside the shop they know wont be taken in.

Yes I agree, for this area. I would not rule it

out if i was in an area where there are more homeless sleepinv on the streets.

I would not have a problem if anyone who needs

things coming from another area.

Shame things can't be organised.

seems such a waste.

Southwark organise a free bring and take event where you can take stuff and then help yourself to anything you fancy. I've got some good stuff and got rid of things others people are glad to have free.

The next Give and Take Event at the East Dulwich Community Centre is in October 2017 - it is only held twice a year.

Articles in good condition only - no large items. Must be small enough to go in car, on bus or carried by one person.

I drove through Herne Hill (half moon lane) alongside the Oxfam charity shop the Christmas/new year period before last and spotted a massive pile of donations outside the shop. There were at least 40 different bags. It had been raining fast and most of the stuff was ruined but ornaments etc. seemed to be saveable. The Oxfam bookshop just across the road was open so went in and suggested they take the stuff in. They blankly refused saying they didn't have the room so I went away feeling quite sad.

I save mine up until I've got a spare Saturday and then drop it off. There are loads of places so it's not hard to make a journey in opening hours.

Obviously, I'm perfect.

Maybe other people just don't think or don't realise - and think they're doing the right thing, that fits in with their availability.

Perhaps rather than complaining, ask the shops to put BIG notices up saying that donations left outside cannot be sold and the charity actually has to pay for it's disposal.

Maybe then the penny will drop.