Fly tipping Forest Hill Road/Dunstans Road

Another lot of tipping has appeared at the electricity substation on the patch of pavement where the bus stop is, near the Herne Tavern.

I have let Cllr Hamvas know; she has dealt with tipping there before.

Rat traps (at least five, which may or may not have done their work) are there as part of the trash, as are boxes with labels belonging to a local business - though I do not draw the conclusion that the two are linked and would discourage anyone from doing so themselves.

I hope Cllr H can deal with this effectively; I will let the council know via the website as well.

A fridge has now appeared since I last saw the tipping at FH/Dunstan's Road! Either the same person is dumping in turns, or it has become a well-known "grot spot" for other pond life to dump stuff at.

Charging for busy waste collection has led to more fly tipping.

You can no longer make a quick call to report such issues - which is also delaying removal. It is much more hassle to be a good citizen since the current administration made these changes. You could download an app like FixMystreet to help report these types of issues. I've not found the southwark website good for this.

James I would be genuinely interested to know how much the council has saved (or I suspect lost) by the introduction of a charge to remove bulky waste...

Certainly the amount of fly tipping has increased dramatically and affects everyone particularly those in "hot spots"

I wish the council was more imaginative and proactive in tackling the problem

James, could you also look into what's happening outside the new shop next door to the Co-op on FHR? Looks like they needed access to pipes, but the builders have dug up half the street and just left it. No work has been carried out for weeks, and now people are throwing rubbish (inc shoes?), into the ditch.

Can you add a mattress dumped at the corner of Dunstans Road and Dunstan's Grove? It's been there for a few days...

And the skip outside the shop in Forest Hill Road is a pain - only one person can pass at a time and it stinks!

I reported the fly-tipping raised with me by Nigello and I have had confirmation that enforcement in conjunction with cleansing have been in attendance and the fly-tipped material has been removed. The amount of fly-tipping has not gone up, but spots used for by tippers vary! Commercial waste was never covered by the bulky waste service. I have reported about the pavement damage and skip.

Renata

Renata I really struggle to beleive that fly tipping has not gone up after the introduction of having to pay to remove bulky waste - have you got anything official to support that? Also any idea on savings made by charging for waste removal?

Hi Renata / All

Please see attached images of the area mentioned next to the co-op. It has been like this for over a month, there is standing water, rubbish (including shoes!!!) and the drop is enough to cause serious injury, especially as the plastic fencing is not maintained.

I am happy to make a formal request with planning as no-one can appreciate the state of the area. But is that the right thing to do?

Kind regards

I sent a similar pic to Cllr Hamvas, so I hope something can be done.

If Cllr Hamvas requires us to do the reporting ourselves, I would be happy to do so, but would prefer to go to a specific place rather than go via the website because I am not sure whether it is tipping or roads or building site, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Renata,

just to let you know that the area had some work done for half a day recently but its not improved things at all. The water is now almost at ground level and poses even more of a health and safety risk for children and animals. Please chase someone on this.

thanks

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Charging for busy waste collection has led to more fly tipping.

Some empirical evidence in support of this claim would be helpful.

Worth noting in this context (i.e. a LibDem Cllr trying to point score against a Labour controlled borough) that the only LibDem controlled London borough charges ?30 for up to 4 items and ?50 for 5-8 items. Southwark charges ?16 for up to 10 items.