Street art walk - how long?

Hi,

Can anyway recommend a walk where none of he Street Art is based on highbrow classical paintings in Dulwich Picture Gallery? Just shows how snotty the area has become.

There are a few other pieces though, some good wheatpaste portraits to look for and some stylish tagging.

I went to Brighton at the weekend and there is more works there than ever; stuff based on cartoon characters, pop stars, etc. Great stuff.

What ever happened to 'The Writing on the Wall'?

Pip, Pip.

There are some great examples of fantastic street art around East Dulwich.

Unfortunately, talentless imbeciles have recently taken to gratuitously spoiling some of them with paint spray. 😒

If anyone catches one of these imbeciles in action, please could you stick their aerosol canister where the sun don't shine! Thank you.

#SE22Banksy

i*Rate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi,

>

> Can anyway recommend a walk where none of he

> Street Art is based on highbrow classical

> paintings in Dulwich Picture Gallery? Just shows

> how snotty the area has become.

I think the link between the paintings in the gallery and the street art is brilliant.

Sorry to take your bait, but why do paintings in a gallery have to be "highbrow"?

We are really lucky to have both the gallery and the street art so near.

i*Rate Wrote:

> Hi,

>

> Can anyway recommend a walk where none of he

> Street Art is based on highbrow classical

> paintings in Dulwich Picture Gallery? Just shows

> how snotty the area has become.

> There are a few other pieces though, some good

> wheatpaste portraits to look for and some stylish

> tagging.

> I went to Brighton at the weekend and there is

> more works there than ever; stuff based on cartoon

> characters, pop stars, etc. Great stuff.

> What ever happened to 'The Writing on the Wall'?

>

> Pip, Pip.

Little around SE22 of any note.Camberwell and up Walworth still have spurts of ingenuity popping up due to the curious emulsion of art students and gentrification/social housing clearances going on. I loath to say Shoreditch but at least there is a regular turnover of stuff that keeps it interesting.

i*Rate Wrote:

> I went to Brighton at the weekend and there is

> more works there than ever; stuff based on cartoon

> characters, pop stars, etc. Great stuff.

Cartoon characters and pop stars? Yeah sounds great.

Hi there

Yes, the walk is approx 2 hours. We start at "The Girl at the Window" opposite East Dulwich Station and make our way up Lordship Lane via the "Fight Club" guys by EDT all the way up to The Plough pub (near the Library), through the park to the gallery itself. Loads to look at en route! Large murals, tiny works you may not have noticed, sculptures dotted around too.

The work is there free for all to see at anytime. There are now many info placards on each site explaining the present artist and the original (more to come if not there at the mo. All will be done soon)

However, I'll be leading this walk for the Dulwich Festival and just as my neighbour said to me "I've walked past these many times - I don't know who they are by, how they came to be here or why - but i like them!" So this is for you if you've wondered this yourself. I've even negotiated free entry to The Gallery (Sat is free all day at DPG by the way anyway for the Festival) so you can pop in and see the original pieces. This will be optional at the end of the tour (approx 4-5pm)

It's a wonderful project set up by Ingrid Beazley in 2012/13 and she got 20 renown street artists from around the world to interpret some of the old masters at Dulwich picture Gallery which are great, but not everybody's thing. This collection out on the street brings those Baroque classics (i.e. Rembrandt's "girl" painted 1645) bang up to date!

Yes both days are sold out (this Sat, Sun) I have proposed to the festival i do an extra date Saturday 20th 2-4pm again so watch this space. (plus will be group rate ?4 DPG entry, optional at the end) Also I will be doing walks/talks after the Festival. This is Ingrid's legacy and she knew she wouldn't be around to take these guided walks so has been briefing me on this over the last few months as I also worked at DPG in the Education dept providing the school tours.

Hope this helps, Amanda

Thanks Amanada - It sounds great. I know a lot of them to see but would certainly like to hear more about the story behind them and the orginals. I'll keep my eye out for an update re 20th. A fantatsic legacy for Ingrid Beazly.

Thanks to everyone who came on the Street Art walks. I did the third extra date as I was suggesting here on EDF due to initial sell out. Lots of lovely interested folk came and liking the connection to the Old Masters at DPG - as it's not always obvious (and you can obviously enjoy the artworks as they are anyhow without knowing this!)

Im doing an evening walk Friday June 9th, again a one way ticket from opposite East Dulwich station ("Girl at the Window", Vale End) To Dulwich Picture Gallery. 7- 8:30pm.

I'm doing this date particularly to co-incide with the late night opening of the gallery (free til 10pm). They have some "Pavilion Lates" over the summer. tho need to register for tickets separately for this end bit via Eventbrite. June 9th event they call a "Baroque mash-up". You can buy tickets for my walking tour ?10/ ?9 also via Evenbrite. See Facebook.com/streetartdulwich for the link and event info

treehugger,

In reply to your question (sorry, a while ago now) my comment is made because 'classical art', like classical music is always treated as the highest form and most highly regarded at an intellectural level. So for example, the contents of the National Gallery and Dulwich Picture Gallery are at that 'high' level.

Other (Modern) art schools seem to take second place. Compare your average opera fan to someone that likes Tom Jones, for example. I just think it a pity that that form of art dominates the area.

Having typed all that, I would like to apologise to anyone that felt that my comments were disrespectful to Ingrid Beazley and her family. I have no idea that she had sadly lost her life to cancer when I posted my rant, and no idea that she(obviously worked very hard) to organise the works. My comments were purely about ED culture and art culture - which I find fascinating. Cheers all.