New trees in SE22/15

At least four new trees have been planted on the Rye, just near the junction with Barry Road. A further two have appeared where Nigel Road meets Peckham Rye. Any more new trees seen? I am pleased that they are there and wondered whether the council was on a pre-April spending spree.

i would like to ask why is it they do not plant any form of fruit trees instead at least we could benefit from it

If they want trees to be tall in that area then fruit trees wouldn't be suitable - very soon the fruit would be out of reach and then just fall as windfalls and rot (and encourage wasps!) Trees with berries (such as rowans) which birds and other wild-life could benefit from is a different issue. Horse Chestnuts used to be a good bet (at least kids enjoyed the 'fruit') but recent disease problems have made these less attractive to plant.

Trees should be (a) appropriate for the site (height and spread - when fully grown) (b) sensitive to the likely climate (as regards temperature and water availability) and © add value to the environment - spring blossom, berries, autumn colour would all qualify there. As climate (may) be changing issues about native species (which in future might not be suitable any longer) may be less relevant, even though these tend to support a wider eco-system.

Also long term costs of care (pruning, leaf collection etc.) need to be taken into account.

As to planting time - spring planting (after the last frosts, from pot grown saplings) or autumn planting (bare rooted) are most frequently advised, to allow the plants to establish themselves. The very dry winter this year would not have been that good for bare rooted plants - which could well have dried out in the soil. Equally those planted now will need regular drenching if they are to establish.