2 guys on moped up to no good 1.30am wed 10th May

Black moped, black helmets, black clothing.

'Patrolling' Silvester/Pellatt/Crystal Palace Rd around 0100-0130, clearly not on their way anywhere - just doubling-back and stopping near prospective targets, which would appear to be parked motorbikes and cars.

James - I am not sure 2x guys on a moped not having been seen to actually commit an offence would warrant a police visit to SE22, I watched the guys for some time and though I'm convinced they were on the hunt I'm sure they could not be prosecuted for anything. Or are you asking because the police could have noted a record of the moped reg plates (which, next time, I'll try and note myself) ?

James - what IS being done about the moped attacks? It's no longer funny and we can't any longer say they're pests.

The fact that this is unchecked (because chasing them could be dangerous to them and the public) is allowing it to escalate.

We've seen the violence that this is turning into.

Kid Kruger you could try calling 101 for a non-emergency if you're suspicious/concerned. I was mugged by s two guys on a moped just before Christmas. The police told me there is a real spate of moped muggings and crimes at the moment and it's gangs operating. Any information they can gather to help build up a picture I imagine will be of use :)

My car had its side passenger window put through on Monday morning (4am) and an empty bag was taken. We heard the alarm go off and some sort of motorised vehicle drive off. So could be related. This was in Forest Hill, just up the hill from Woodvale.

agree.

having averted numerous attempts to steal my motorbike, it's important to raise these incidences (even when just suspicions) to the police as they will be able to justify increased manpower, additional funding. etc.

The police I dealt with on every occasion have been very helpful and understanding, but their resources and powers are limited

MissKing Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Kid Kruger you could try calling 101 []

Caesi01 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> agree.

> having averted numerous attempts to steal my

> motorbike, it's important to raise these

> incidences (even when just suspicions) to the

> police as they will be able to justify increased

> manpower, additional funding. etc.

> The police I dealt with on every occasion have

> been very helpful and understanding, but their

> resources and powers are limited

>

> MissKing Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Kid Kruger you could try calling 101 []

Absolutely. I hear them buzz by every other night, sniffing out whether my bike is properly chained up or not.

I reported similar to 101 or whatever the number is a few weeks ago.

Moped, hidden faces, black tape on number plate scouting side streets.

101 was painful with a 10 minute wait but they sent a patrol car out..

Anything suspicious call 101 or even 999. The police would rather attend to "nothing" than a burgled pensioner for example. I spotted a youth trying door handles and windows, I challenged him, he said he was looking for his friend "made-up-name" and his fictional dog. I called 101, the 101 operator deemed it enough to send rapid response, they were there in 2 mins!

I despair. If you see moped with covered number plate 'patrolling' looking for criminal opportunities you ring 999. The operator will then classify. Deciding not to bother the Police is helping these criminals proceed unimpeded.

Last time I spotted this on Half Moon Lane I called the Police. They absolutely wanted to know this.

Mention on the forum someone heard sawing and didn't call the Police. My dealings with the Police they'd sooner deal with a false alarm than miss stopping and apprehending criminals.

Every one of these criminals apprehended stops dozens of future crimes. Usually solves dozens of past crimes.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE call 999 if you see or hear something suspicious. 101 is for non time critical reporting of events or information.

>>> "I despair. If you see moped with covered number plate 'patrolling' looking for criminal opportunities you ring 999"

I think I was the only person that mentioned number plates so the above must be in reference to me.

I think 101 is the number for this. Unless the Mets own guidance on what number to call is incorrect.

As a few posters have mentioned, 101 resulted in police attendance.

I think the police prefer 999 when it is clear a crime is actually happening or very likely to happen - or has happened very recently (someone trying car doors or climbing over a fence into a garden - or screams of course). Apparently suspicious activity - where no actual crime seems imminent, or is actually taking place - is more a 101 call - may either be responded to or added to intelligence gathering activities.

Just checked Avon and Somerset Police and the below

"it's not an emergency but a man's just knocked on my door saying that there has been a problem with the water pressure and he needs to check my pressure... He has no ID and I saw on TV that there have been a lot of distraction burglaries in this area. I have seen him walking towards my neighbour's houses down the street."

is 999

what I mean is if the cops see the moped with covered plates I expect they'd be interested to ask the riders why they're doing it.

I'm not sure they run the risk of being identified by having covered-up plates - but we both know that already.