Nunhead cemetery strange man with DSLR camera taking photos of dow owners and dog walkers

Hi all,

be aware that there is a young man in Nunhead cemetery firing a DSLR at people with dogs. This happened to me yesterday and I am told this has also happened to others, in particular professional dog walkers. The man is white, young,short hair, in his twenties, was walking with a blond woman, same age when he pointed his camera directly at me. I am contacting the police if he does this again. Very bizarre. Also, several dog walkers have reported being verbally abused, sworn at and shouted at by a woman living opposite the entrance gates (Linden Grove entrance). I have personally experienced the said woman standing at her window on the first floor and filming me on her phone as I was coming in the cemetery with my dogs. She has also yelled at me recently, and I just blanked her out. It seems to me that Southwark's new "dogs consultation" is causing dog walkers and dog owners to be targeted increasingly by people who don't like dogs. I also hear of another incident in Dulwich Park last week, a dog walker was mugged and even though he gave his wallet, he was stabbed by the assailant. Has anyone heard of this? Be careful out there people. In doubt/ if targeted, do call 999.

He was pointing the camera right at you, you say OP? Sounds like he's stolen your soul. Your dog's too perhaps. Dial 666 to ask for it back.

You didn't say what was 'strange' about the young photographer. Was it cloven hoofs and the whiff of brimstone that made him stand out?

Angel_lemarchland,Would you feel comfortable asking them why they are taking photos of dogs and their walkers? I think I would ask, not in an aggressive way. I think asking is the quickest way to find out. Peckham_ryu, I needed cheering up, you've made me laugh, I really needed that. No offence to op.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you do call the police, they will (or, at

> least, should) only tell you that people

> photographing you in a public place is entirely

> legal.

While taking pictures of others in a public place is perfectly legal, a photographer could be charged with harassment if their conduct can be reasonably judged as such, so if this person is taking pictures with the intention, for example, of putting them on a "name and shame dog owners" message board that could be classed as harassment. Alternatively if he's getting in people's faces and/or impeding their progress to take pictures of them he could be charged with behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace. I agree that it is unlikely the police would bother with it - if he's bothering you why not try taking a camera or 'phone yourself and start taking pictures of him to see how he reacts?

James Barber Wrote:

> I'd ask what they intend to do with the

> photographs. If they plan to post on social media,

> print, etc. then they'd need your consent. Equally

> you could take their photo.

Is that right James? I'm just thinking when the newspapers post a picture of a football crowd or a demo, they don't get everyone in the picture's consent, do they?

I have spoken to officers about this in the past. The sign is in relation to commercial photographers. For commercial filming or photography in the cemetery you need permission. Students from Goldsmith's and Camberwell School of Art quite frequently take pictures in our Cemeteries and Parks. I would suggest this is most likely to a student taking pictures for a project. Whoever they are it would be courteous if they asked people if it's OK before taking their picture!

Renata

That FONC link is an eye-opener. Very anti-dog. Is it a problem dogs running over old graves? I absolutely agree that dogs should be on leads near the new internments, but dogs on leads elsewhere is an extreme measure.

James Barber Wrote:

> I'd ask what they intend to do with the

> photographs. If they plan to post on social media,

> print, etc. then they'd need your consent. Equally

> you could take their photo.

AFAIK consent is not required in the UK in order to post (lawfully obtained) pictures, ie pictures taken in a public space where there is not otherwise an expectation of privacy or a prohibition on photography/filming (such as commercial photography and publishing). However, the poster may be held liable for the consequences of sharing pics or making pics public. For example, if you post a pic of your colleague being drunk at a festival, and it leads to them losing their job, then you could be held liable for damages.

This has some useful guidelines and links: https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q697.htm#

I just read the link to FONC. This is because of commercial dog walkers. They are coming from all over. It never used to be a problem. They are a scourge. It's a combination of greed on their part and the rise of people getting dogs and farming them out to other people.

And, Complete Pet Care, one of the companies whose van and charges were stolen last year, regularly clogged up Peckham Rye with their employees in charge of numerous dogs. The dog walker would be paid an hourly fee, say ?10, while the owner raked in ?70/?80 if eight dogs were being supposedly walked. They also used to go up to One Tree Hill regularly. Does anyone really know where a dog walker takes their dog?

You cannot supervise that many dogs. Two dogs is enough of a responsibility. I've seen two people disregarding three dogs accompanying them as they were too busy chatting while the dogs lagged and crapped behind them.

Then ban professional dog walkers from Nunhead or license them. Easily done. But don't stop people who have for years walked their own dogs in Nunhead with no trouble whatsoever. What FONC are proposing is not in the public interest.

I quite agree with Taper. Ensure professional dog walkers are licensed with strict requirements on number of dogs and behaviours. Put some more dog mess bins in. Don't penalise the responsible dog owners who have control over their dogs - which when I am there - seem to be in the majority. If the dog owners don't walk in the park any more, the numbers of public will be drastically reduced and the cemetery won't feel to be the safe place it is at the moment. I am really disappointed to read the FONC announcement, particularly as I am a Friend and have been for over 20 years.

FONC Should fence off the 'sacred' areas from the area where dogs are allowed to run about off lead. Dogs can't read signs and it's unrealistic to expect every dog to obey every command from its owner, that's just not realistic (however desirable it may be).

'Pooing in graves' is the worst possible instance which is being focussed on, dogs poo everywhere - and usually at the start of their walk when they're with the owners from what I've seen.

I think the 'danger to children' angle is also being over-egged, the webpage reads like EDF poster (was it 'DadOnAbike' ?) who recently started a thread with the same kind of thrust.

Be interesting to see what the cemetery becomes if such proposals materialise.

Saffron Wrote:

> For example, if you post a pic of your colleague being drunk at a festival, and it leads to them losing

> their job, then you could be held liable for damages.

I'm not sure that's a great example, Saffron. I can't believe that would stand up in court.

angel_lemarchand Wrote:

> Hi all,

> be aware that there is a young man in Nunhead

> cemetery firing a DSLR at people with dogs. This

> happened to me yesterday and I am told this has

> also happened to others, in particular

> professional dog walkers. The man is white,

> young,short hair, in his twenties, was walking

> with a blond woman, same age when he pointed his

> camera directly at me. I am contacting the police

> if he does this again. Very bizarre. Also, several

> dog walkers have reported being verbally abused,

> sworn at and shouted at by a woman living opposite

> the entrance gates (Linden Grove entrance). I have

> personally experienced the said woman standing at

> her window on the first floor and filming me on

> her phone as I was coming in the cemetery with my

> dogs. She has also yelled at me recently, and I

> just blanked her out. It seems to me that

> Southwark's new "dogs consultation" is causing dog

> walkers and dog owners to be targeted increasingly

> by people who don't like dogs. I also hear of

> another incident in Dulwich Park last week, a dog

> walker was mugged and even though he gave his

> wallet, he was stabbed by the assailant. Has

> anyone heard of this? Be careful out there people.

> In doubt/ if targeted, do call 999.

How many dogs do you walk together?