Advice on removals and bus routes

GemmaT

Hello all

I am moving from Melbourne Grove to Crebor Street in December (thanks to the forum for helping me find a lovely 2 bed with a garden) and have booked a removal firm called 'The Move Team' and was just wondering if anyone has ever used them before, and if so could let me know if they are ok?

Also does anyone know the quickest way to get into the city from Crebor street? I do not mind walking to East Dulwich station from this road but I thought if its raining then I would get a bus to either East Dulwich station or Forest Hill station. Does anyone know the quickest bus route to either of these stations?

Many thanks

Gemma

I get the number 12 to Peckham Rye from Underhill Road / Barry Road in the morning and I have never had to stand, you can get the 197 too.

The good thing about Peckham Rye is that it has lines into Blackfriars, Victoria and London Bridge, so if there are major problems on one line you can always switch onto a different line and get a tube back into the city. Some of the London Bridge trains are non stop to London Bridge too.

I've been using Peckham Rye for 3 months now and have only had one day my line got cancelled due to problems at Nunhead I think it was, and find most days the trains pretty much run to time. Mornings like today where my train was 6 minutes late are the exception not the norm.

Hi Gemma

Options are :

1) 3 mintute walk to Underhill Road and catch the P13 to ED station..not sure how frequent this service is

2) Walk to the Plough or Upland Road and catch any of the buses heading North on Lordship Lane to ED station

3) 3 minute walk to Forest Hill Rd, catch 63 bus to Peckham Rye station

4) 5 minute walk to Upland Rd/Plough catch any of the buses to Forest Hill station, I thnik there are 3 buses you can catch. Advantage of Forest Hill is that during rush hour there's a train to London Bridge every 5 to 8 minutes, journey time to London Bridge is about 12 - 15 minutes.

I wonder what others do who live on Crebor/Dunstans Rd etc

Three minute walk to Barry House... pick up the 40 at the start of its route, get a seat and relax all the way into the City. Takes about an hour but good time to listen to radio/i=pod, read a book/newspaper or whatever...

where in the city do you work?

My unsystematic mental map of bus frequencies has the 40 quite a bit less frequent than either the 176 or 185. Does that tally with others' experience or knowledge, or am I being unfair to it? The timetables, FWIW, have both the 176 and 40 as running every 8 minutes during the day, and the 185 every 10 minutes.

a handy tool for me too. Although mine disagrees with you on the 40. I'm quite loyal to the 40 on my way into town but a bit of a floozy on the way back and will jump on any old wagon. I find the 40 more consistent than the others. And it finishes near home so it's my bus, as it were

My mental bus tools also include a bus-stop analyser which gives me a reading on whether a given stop is more likely to have several buses turn up quickly, or leave me standing for ages. (yes, even tho they may be just 4 stops apart on the same route - I didn't say it made any sense)

F'rinstance, I find the stop by the garage at Goose Green to be a bit of a black hole - often seem to wait 10 mins there, whereas the bus stop by the Sea Cow, I'm never waiting for very long at all

Mr Pickle walks to the start of the 40 bus route in the morning, gets a good seat and says he enjoys sitting and reading a book before the work day begins. On the way home he catches a train from London Bridge to Peckham Rye, then a bus up Barry Rd (there's a few options) - much quicker than using ED station.

If you were catching the train in the morning I would say Peckham Rye would be the faster option - a shorter walk to catch a bus (unless you're lucky and manage to catch the P13 down Underhill Rd) as you only need to go as far as Barry Road.

Many thanks for all the recommendations, I work on Bishopsgate so I think my best bet is to get the number 12 to Peckham Rye then walk from London Bridge and when the weather is nice I will walk to East Dulwich station. I thought about the 40 but I do like a walk in the morning and buses make me feel a bit sick if im on them for too long.

We have a very large sofa that needs to come out of a 1st floor window so I am not sure if Dulwich removals would be able to do this - but I will have a look at their website. Many thanks again for the recommendation.