Unbearable heat in Dulwich Leisure Centre - gym

Hi I don't know if anyone else has complained to the gym, but I have mentioned this in person twice already to gym staff and feel compelled to raise it on the forum. The air con in the gym is not sufficient despite what staff say. On a sunny day the heat from the roof windows make it even worse, verging on unbearable.

Today there was one portable air con unit at the back of the gym and it's temperature reading said 24 degrees. The recommended temperature in a house is no more than 21, so how we can be expected to work out in 24 degrees plus seems ludicrous. It's not even full summer yet!

Is anyone going to take a serious look at how to keep members cool? I'm thinking of cancelling my membership as its impossible to go during summer months.

Hi scrawford,

I'm really sorry to hear you've had this problem.

I had been assured this problem had been fixed about a year ago.

I will raise the matter again - it would be REALLY helpful if you email me when this happened - real examples get quicker traction from council officials in my experience.

Hi James - the only thing that "fixed" this issue last year was the end of summer! This is still an issue at the gym. Can you confirm what was action was taken a year ago which was supposed to remedy this? I'm unsure whether there are any regulations which govern the temperatures that public gyms should be kept at for safe cardio workouts but would be interested to know whether everyone active are required to keep the gym at a specific temperature. I've complained about this before and frequently have asked staff to turn the AC on in the morning when it is hot. However I'm not sure what can be done to ensure this gets addressed? I had hoped for a change after Fusion but it seems that was a little too much to expect.

Install windows that open. Problem solved at least 90% of the time. James Barber: Why do they REFUSE to install windows that open to vent the hot sweaty air? And pleeeease don't say noise/ neighbours/ listed. Windows that open = a few thousand pounds. The buildings has had this ventilation problem since it was "upgraded"

I too mentioned to staff on two separate occasions this weekend

Was told that the building belongs to Southwark Council therefore it's their problem

So I just kind of realised that I wasn't going to get anywhere with my comments

If the air conditioning units cannot be fixed for some time then the leisure centre NEEDS to rent more portable units as the two they have at the moment are NOT sufficient.

Unless they sort this, come August they will have to shut the gym as it's a health and safety risk to have the gym open to kids, elderly and just your average human being in such hot conditions

I went today and agree it was unbarably hot-I just about managed to do my cardio but it was really unpleasent.

I also pity the poor staff who are there all day in these tempratures.

They BADLY need portable air-con units.

Yes I was there yesterday for a class, the air con in studio 2 barely worked, two of us had to sit out for a while and the attendant only came up towards the end of the class to check saying that there was little they could do about it. Even the instructor struggled. Had the door open for a bit but the music obviously disturbed next doors yoga group so we had to shut the door after they complained. The room was so hot, was not pleasant at all. They should bring in some portable chillers at least.

wonderwoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes I was there yesterday for a class, the air con

> in studio 2 barely worked, two of us had to sit

> out for a while and the attendant only came up

> towards the end of the class to check saying that

> there was little they could do about it. Even the

> instructor struggled. Had the door open for a bit

> but the music obviously disturbed next doors yoga

> group so we had to shut the door after they

> complained. The room was so hot, was not pleasant

> at all. They should bring in some portable

> chillers at least.

I agree! Or just...you know... some windows that ACTUALLY open!!!!

• 2 weeks later...