Someone selling dishcloths etc coming round

Sue

I don't think these people are working independently. Their baskets are identical.

The people are probably genuine, working for some 'Fagin' type character

who is exploiting them. The produce is poor quality which could be found

in pound shops and the like.

Fox

There is no official scheme in the UK for ex-con rehabilitation via door-to-door sales. These are young people (who may well be ex offenders) who are controlled by gang-masters. The quality of their goods is generally poor, their prices high (for what they are selling). The young men get to keep only a fraction of what they take. They tend to sell via a mixture of pathos and menace (depending on their customer). Buying from them encourages their gang masters in exploitation. If you want good value cleaning materials, try Farmers in Lordship Lane. Or (many) poundshops.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The produce is poor quality which could be found in pound shops and the like.

If it's anything like the tea-towels we bought a couple of years ago, the quality is far worse than pound shops' offerings. The first wash turned them into small face cloths.

Sue,

Yes, I remember those poor 'Art Students' with those shiny foil paintings strapped to their backs knocking on the door for money. I can't remember what I said to them at the time but I later saw several of them being given there 'works' from the back of a big car by their boss.

Funny really, but we did not think much about Eastern Europeans pouring in from the EU at the time, but they were not local people. Just a racket to sell junk pictures for top prices, I suppose.

I had the 'Ex Offenders' around last week - a bit unnerving.

Be Alert!