Rats?

One day last week I spotted what I hoped was an enormous mouse in a garden on my road. Yesterday around 6pm there were two fox cubs in my garden playing with a dead rat, much in the way my cat plays with her mouse toy. There can't just be one or two rats about, can there? This is the first time I've seen a rat in the area and I've been here over 10 years.

I saw the cutest little rat under the shrubs at the edge of Morrisons car park yesterday. He was having a fine old time sifting through the litter. And I followed one up the path in Peckham Rye park the other morning.

Wow, that was probably so surreal for you and something to witness! I've never given rats a thought but had one (apparently they are solitary animals as learned this later from poo droppings) in the attic. At the same time had a wasps nest and thought it was the sweeping sound coming from the nest. Then the scratching/scurrying noise came along waking me up every morning above my head at 3, 4, 5, 6am every morning and I got to the stage at not wanting to go to bed at night!

Had pest control in and they could say it was one rat as there were poo droppings in one place. Apparently, rats do their poos in one place unlike mice who poo everywhere!

• 4 months later...

tomskip Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I saw the cutest little rat under the shrubs at

> the edge of Morrisons car park yesterday. He was

> having a fine old time sifting through the litter.

> And I followed one up the path in Peckham Rye park

> the other morning.

Oh that was you was it? We?re you checking out my tail? ;)

That looks like a black rat (Rattus Rattus or the larger R. Norvegicus?). I have only seen brown rats about locally, including one walking insouciently up the divide in the Belair car park. The black rat (ship rat) was suggested as a vector for the Great Plague of 1665.

Rats have a better sense of smell than humans, as foxes are natural predators of rats they will avoid areas where a fox is present, but rats will attempt to feed even if foxes are present. I own a small family pest control company critter solutions. I am happy to advise in rats or any pest issues you may have kind regards Roger