Cut Throat Lane? (Camberwell)

I was at the Jack the Ripper exhibition at the Museum in Docklands yesterday + whilst I was looking at Charles Booth's 1889 Poverty Map I noticed a long road near Grove Hill Road/Ivanhoe Road called Cut Throat Lane

http://www.umich.edu/~risotto/maxzooms/se/seh1112.html

http://www.umich.edu/~risotto/maxzooms/se/sej1112.html

Can anyone throw any light on this please?

Thanks

If you walk along Grove Hill Road, just after you pass Camberwell Grove (on your left), there is a locked gate. This leads into private gardens, which I believe residents of Grove Hill Road have keys to. It looks like Cut Throat Lane runs through these gardens.

It runs along the boundary of the gardens of Grove Hill Road and what was once the Lettsom Estate - part of which is now Lettsom Gardens (which Jeremy refers to), the trees at the end of the Grove Hill Road Gardens mark where the boundary would have been.

That map actually says "Cut Through Lane"... which makes a lot more sense than "Cut Throat".

Probably from the first half of the 19th century, seeing as Camberwell Grove is there, but none of the (Victorian) residential roads exist in Dulwich yet...

sillywoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> kidder Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Check out this map which clearly shows Cut

> Throat

> > Lane undeveloped and not much going on in ED.

>

> Wow! do you have a date for that map. It's fab. i

> love stuff like that.

Here you are, it's facinating. South east london

In the past streetnames reflected a little more honestly the trades and activities that went on therein.

I always crack up at the thought of Grope**** Lane which was near what is now Barbican, renamed Milton St, I'm sure he'd have been proud...err so to speak..

I rather like Cut-Throat Lane, no worse than Nunhead in honour of some poor decapitated sister (citation needed).

Interesting, Crystal Palace Road is Harris Road, don't know when the name actually changed, but it was obviously after the great exhibition centre was moved to Penge.

Also, no St John's Church on Goose Green, which surprised me, but a chapel more or less where Jojo Maman Bebe is these days :-S

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That map actually says "Cut Through Lane"... which

> makes a lot more sense than "Cut Throat".

>

> Probably from the first half of the 19th century,

> seeing as Camberwell Grove is there, but none of

> the (Victorian) residential roads exist in Dulwich

> yet...

baring in mind "the cut" in waterloo, "cut through lane" does make a bit more sense, but it just dosent have the same ring to it as "cut throat lane".