Dog Kennel Hill Parking Survey (Which stretches from Chadwick Road to Green Dale)

Yes, looks like after implementing the North Dulwich/Denmark Hill parking zone that Southwark are moving onwards and upwards into other areas! Can see from the Bessemer Grange School area (where you can park before 12 noon or after 2pm) that Southwark have probably had complaints from people living next to Sainsburys or in surrounding streets near East Dulwich train station that they can't park their cars. It does seem a strange boundary that Tooley Street have made out but they must have their reasons!

hammerman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes, looks like after implementing the North

> Dulwich/Denmark Hill parking zone that Southwark

> are moving onwards and upwards into other areas!

> Can see from the Bessemer Grange School area

> (where you can park before 12 noon or after 2pm)

> that Southwark have probably had complaints from

> people living next to Sainsburys or in surrounding

> streets near East Dulwich train station that they

> can't park their cars. It does seem a strange

> boundary that Tooley Street have made out but they

> must have their reasons!

It is all part of Southwark's master plan to make all roads revenue producing and get cars off the roads.

The top part of Chadwick Road/Grove Park in the plan is the last non CPZ not joined to the existing CPZ now they intend to make it part of the whole.

If you have more than 3 cars per household you will not get a permit for others according to the consultation papers.

Again a consultation is raised during the summer months.

Are these idea's raised to keep people occupied instead of getting rid of them because they have very little to do?

They will all go through regardless.

• 4 months later...

Looks like it's going ahead...probably will now need a zone to fill in the remaining unmanaged bit between East Dulwich Road & Copleston Road.

From 365 valid responses representing a 15% response rate, 49% of respondents were in favour of a parking zone, 39% were against a parking zone and 12% were undecided.

We have recommended that a parking zone is implemented across the whole area operating Monday to Friday, 11am to 1pm.

https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/environment-leisure/dogkennelhill/

...though it has to be said that the time chosen will impact commuters coming in to the area to use the station (if there are any) but not most casual visitors and shoppers, tradesmen etc. (apart from a long lunch break being required). In Ladywell the time chosen (apparently justified as excluding commuters wishing to use the station) is 9.00am-7.00pm Monday to Friday which is draconian.

Ah thanks for sharing the link.

I live on one of those streets near the station and commuter parking is becoming a bigger problem by the day. So implementing a parking zone from 11am to 1pm would address this and not impact local use too much, which is what I was in favour of.

So in this instance, I don't think it's a revenue raising exercise.

Its never a revenue raising exercise. This is a tired old myth. The council is prevented by law from profiting from CPZ enforcement. If anyone has any evidence that such profiteering is ocurring, then they need to speak to the police urgently as it is a criminal offence.

Dog Kennel hill is really suffering as a couple of extra CPZs have started recently. I was up there the other day and it was stupidly busy, with no parking spaces anywhere, mainly as its the last uncontrolled space left in this part of South London.

So implementing a parking zone from 11am to 1pm would address this and not impact local use too much, which is what I was in favour of.

It must be remembered that many people who service us in ED (in shops, cafes & restaurants, in schools, in the NHS etc. in lawyers and accountants etc. etc.) need to come in to ED and for many of them the transport system does not support an easy commute between ED and where they live - so they drive-in. They are commuters certainly, but for our benefit - we are the end of their commute. When I worked in another part of SE London my drive was 15-20 minutes - any public transport commute could not be achieved in under 90! (because I wanted to travel East - West - not into or out of Central London or the City). It also involved both buses and trains and 2-3 changes (depending on whether trains were running or not that day).

The majority of the problem for many of these streets near the station is with train commuters on Monday to Friday. I can't speak for every street in the consultation but definitely the ones immediately near ED station.

I get that it is an inconvenience for some local commuters as mentioned by Penguin68 but at least it's not all day restriction. And like I said local commuters on these streets are a minority. I know as I live near the station and see this.

There are still uncontrolled zones further from the station which local commuters can use.