budget ED and good pubs

huntaaar

HI there,

my girlfriend and are moving to the area in a few weeks. Can anyone give me some advice on living in ED on a budget? We are soon to be skink and a lot of the local eating places etc (I?ve read about a mysterious ?12 sandwich on here, presumably its eats itself for you?) seem quite pricy for us pair or paupers.

Also any advice for newbs would be welcome, good pubs etc

Ta

Hello Huntaar,

Welcome to ED! This area is fantastic for green grocers, butchers, fish mongers, bakers, wine shops, etc, etc... surely cooking at home will help cut down on restaurant costs. I think most of the pubs are relatively similar in price. The Castle is a favourite of my husband's and a bit off the beaten path.

There's a thread in the lounge by microbite introducing themselves so just jump on ...

The Castle will prbably be the cheapest pint, it's a bit of a dive, but I like it in a way. Others are not so keen. Lordship Lane gets very busy at the weekends (The Bishop, The Black Cherry, The EDT and so on), but they are all nice enough places to go for a beer in the week.

Personally I'd recommend the CPT, The Magnolia, and The Plough, but they are all similar in price, not expensive, but not cheap as such.

• 2 weeks later...

OK thanks guys for all the comments, moving to LS lane on the 1st of December (assuming Winkworths actually ever get round to doing my references!)

looking forward to it!

When I was in ED the other day the queue for the butchers was round the corner, is that normal? it was like something out of league of gentlemen!

There are the 37, P13 and 12 buses which will take you to the Wetherspoons (The Kentish Drovers) in Peckham. A cheap pint (served at the correct temperature) will be yours for the asking.

There are also the 12, 176 and 185 buses that will take you to the Wetherspoons (The Capitol) in Forest Hill. They are about ten new pence a pint more expensive, but the walk from the top of the stairs to the bar tends to put a swagger in your stride, so I suppose it's worth it.

If you want to live on a budget then it can most certainly be done in East Dulwich. Obviously you can't expect to wine and dine like King & Queen all week long so a little compromise is necessary.

Few things that spring to mind from my vast experience of visiting Somerfield. Firstly shop at Somerfield, on Lordship Lane, from 7pm on any evening as they cut prices drastically on enough items to dine like an aristocrat for a pauper's purse.

Secondly as a general guide stock up with frozen goods for your freezer rather than refridgerated items. If you want to go out for the night to drink then perhaps have a few cans* beforehand at home when you're quenching the initial tap bursting thirst.

* If you want cheap booze, then visit Sainsbury's which seem to have endless promotions on one lager or another.

As for dining out cheaply in East Dulwich, then I'm afraid the only option I can think of is a Sunday buffet in one of the many Indian restaurants on Lordship Lane.

The butcher, fishmonger, organic grocers etc are all a lot more expensive (though much nicer) than the supermarket, but if you choose carefully you can get good stuff reasonably.

There are lots of lunch deals when eating out and some places (e.g. Locale) do weekday evening deals as well.

The deli is expensive but usually has free taster samples, especially on Saturday, and a bargain table with stuff at half price or less - it's especially good in January where you can get posh chocolates, panettone etc.

I think Green and Blue on LL do 'wine at retail price' on Mondays or Tuesdays (offer still on?). Ok, this will still be more expensive than Wetherspoons as bottles start at about ?10 but at this price you get good value for money. To go with the wine, share a platter for about ?7.5.

Alternativly go to the Thai retaurant on North Cross road and bring your own drinks. Book ahead as they are quite busy.

AcedOut Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Smiler - are you suggesting free taster sample's

> as a means to budget survival!?

I'm in! a fake mustache and some glasses and I reckon I could get a god free lunch, must practice my "hmmmm I'm enjoying this sample but perhaps another would make up my mind for a purchase" face.