Bike Hangers anyone?

What is a Bike Hanger I hear you cry?

A Bikehangar stores six bikes within the space of half of a car parking bay

Most Bikehangars are purchased by councils, who subcontract the letting/waiting list service to Cyclehoop

The annual charge to rent a bike parking space in a council owned Bikehangar is ?72 + VAT (or less if council subsidised)

The bikeahangar is designed to be unobtrusive, it's smaller than a mini cooper car & can be produced in custom colours.

IF you are interested there are three things you need to do - please nicely:

Follow this link to register your interest: http://www.cyclehoop.rentals/suggest-location/ (sorry cannot make it active)

Email: [email protected] with 'Bikehangar' in the subject line of the email.

Email: your local councillor to let them know about the growing demand.

Cyclehoop are currently going through a joint tender process with Lewisham and Southwark councils so this is a great time to register your interest - those who are registered with both Cyclehoop and their local Council get the first allocations if this is successful.

Edhistory,

Yes, let's please sort out the local pavements and make them safe for all but especially the elderly and disabled before shelling out on street storage for cyclists. Everyone uses the pavement so in cash strapped times these should take priority.

Doesn't funding for this come from a different source (ie. not LB Southwark ) but from a devolved budget from Transport for London?

So if you want to lobby for local pavements, carry on doing so, but additional cycle storage isn't going to be in competition to that.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Edhistory,

>

> Yes, let's please sort out the local pavements and

> make them safe for all but especially the elderly

> and disabled before shelling out on street storage

> for cyclists. Everyone uses the pavement so in

> cash strapped times these should take priority.

I tend to agree, and I think I've said before that I don't find the case for bike hangars convincing in many cases: I think provision of on-property bike storage could well prove more effective where appropriate (?5K for an eight slot bike hangar could provide forty or more front garden bike sheds with storage for eighty bikes). So if it's a question of either/or, yes, pedestrian priority. However, I trust the same rule will be applied to motorist provision as well?

Snowy, I may be wrong and others who know better can correct me but to be told that funding for a vital community asset like footpaths on residential streets can only be taken from a devolved budget sounds like a massive fudge.

I believe the footpaths on residential streets are council responsibility. Local footpaths are in an appalling state. If there is not enough money in one ring fenced budget then take it from another and prioritise. Once more, footpaths are used by everyone, they need good money spending on them now to bring them back up to a standard safe for use by all. Spending in this way is not sexy, headline-grabbing or good for political egos, but it needs done and soon.

macutd, I know what you mean.

Looks like someone has picked out bits on my road but decided that other areas of very uneven paving ( creating very deep pools of water when it rains) will be left as is. Significantly areas marked for attention are tarmac laid only a few years ago. I guess it'll be dug up and replaced with yet more tarmac. A quickie job, done on the cheap that means boxes can be ticked and we'll be told that x amount of pavements have now been fixed, but guranteed to fail and crack again very soon.

> The charge for their use means they are cost neutral in about ten years

If I recall an earlier thread correctly, Mr Barber gave us details of the financials, and concluded these hangers were very poor value for public money.

Too many salami slicers in the costings too.

Why do you think these hangers have a life-span of at last ten years?

They want to put a bike hanger outside my neighbour's house in an area where nobody owns a bike. It is near a junction and in a part of the street where parents dropping children off at the new primary school park. If you add in the possible extra double yellow lines we have been threatened with, we residents will have nowhere to park!

singalto Wrote:

> They want to put a bike hanger outside my

> neighbour's house in an area where nobody owns a

> bike. It is near a junction and in a part of the

> street where parents dropping children off at the

> new primary school park. If you add in the

> possible extra double yellow lines we have been

> threatened with, we residents will have nowhere to

> park!

Nobody owns a bike? Literally? How big is this area?

singalto Wrote:

> RH, nobody in the area of the prospective hanger

> owns a bike.

Sorry, can you define "area"? As far as I'm aware they're only put in if a quorum of residents have requested one and signed up to pay the fees, has it really just been dumped down in a place where not one resident wants it? If so that definitely needs looking into.

keano77 Wrote:

> "... The bikeahangar is designed to be unobtrusive

> ..."

>

> As per an former post of mine - they look like pig

> pens blighting our roads

Whereas sodding enormous Porsche Cayennes and Range Rover Vogues really beautify the street environment, don't they?

macutd Wrote:

> Yes why can't we do something good for motorists.

> We are always taking a bashing and get very little

> for our council tax, road tax, etc .

Southwark Council could introduce annual dropped kerb rental.

If people in my street have requested a bike hanger, it needs to be installed nearer at least one of the prospective users and not just by the corner where the extended yellow lines made get be painted. We also get a lot of extra parked cars from staff at the new school. I am not against the hangers themselves but they need to be placed thoughtfully and where they are actually needed.

Hi edhistory,

I'm dead keen on Bikehangars for people who can't store they bicycles in their home easily.

With Global warming and the UK's obesity epidemic active travel such as cycling or walking more is critical to all our futures.

But I'd like the roll out of Bikehangars to be at scale with scale economies.

Agree with you singalto.