Founders day at Alleyn's school.

I can hear every word being shouted through a tannoy at Alleyn's and know this will go on for several hours. If I'm not mistaken, it culminates in a fireworks display. Fireworks I can cope with but the ridiculously loud tannoy is going to annoy me.

It finishes at 9, I just checked. Normally fireworks right at the end. Just had to check out their auction as they've been drivelling on about it all day. I live right next to JAGS so I too can hear every word, infact they're almost in my garden.

GinaG3 said "It finishes at 9, I just checked. Normally fireworks right at the end. Just had to check out their auction as they've been drivelling on about it all day. I live right next to JAGS so I too can hear every word, infact they're almost in my garden."

Nonsense! There are NO fireworks and it finishes by 5 apart from the cricket which is silent basically.

Or are you talking about JAGS ??

This has effectively been going on ONCE a year for 401 years.....it is always on the same Saturday in the year and there will be fireworks- at least there have been every year but they may be confined to DC.

Just to put things into perspective- someone near me has a stinking barbecue almost every week with music and loud drinking noise....I would gladly swap

I think this was also the cause of the very poor air quality around that area today as there were quite a few generators and other machines powering various entertainments. Cycling past wasn't fun, anyway. Still, only once a year and in a couple of weeks they'll all be in Tuscany or Provence. Love the way the rush hour around DV disappears once the parents and coaches are off the roads.

Most charities have raffles and offer a new car as the prize- there has to be an incentive. And anyway, many people who send their children to a private school actually give up luxuries, exotic holidays etc to afford it- it is a lifestyle choice after all. I've taught a fair few children down the line who could have done with some of the money that mummy and daddy spent on flash cars and holidays being used for some private tutoring instead- it's a question of priorities and sacrifice.

Uncleglen, I am a parent who worked very long hours and gave up luxuries to send my children to Alleyn's. I was just irritated by the loudness of the PA system which enabled me, who was not attending the event, to hear in minute detail what going on and who won what in the raffle. It must have been deafening to be at the school!