Dog owners - give your views on Southwark parks dog consultation

Southwark initiated a poorly advertised dog consultation which invited people to fill in a questionnaire by early June. The consultation was flawed in several ways in my view - mainly because people could reply multiple times so it cannot be called fair. A decision is apparently going to be made on how to proceed around the end of September.

From the tone of the questionnaire, the options seem to be:

leave things as they are

dogs on leads in certain areas (cemeteries, Sydenham Woods and possibly parks)

dogs banned from certain areas (cemeteries and Sydenham Woods)

There are also questions regarding dog walkers and the number of dogs they should be allowed to walk.

There are obviously going to be lots of different opinions, and I would encourage any dog owners (and non dog owners too!) to contact their local councillors to give their views so there is proper consideration of the issues. For those dog owners/lovers on Facebook, there is a page called Southwark Loves Dogs which has been set up to share ideas on how to proceed.

You can find your local councillors here http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgFindMember.aspx?

I am a dog owner and I believe that we are blessed with many green spaces in Southwark which everyone should be able to use - with consideration for all other users.

There are already rules in place and potentially heavy fines. Trouble is that it's unenforceable and rare for anyone to get caught. Depressing, as the vast majority if dog owners are responsible and are probably more annoyed about the offenders than anyone.

danfellows Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How can we stop inconsiderate dog owners shitting

> on the pavements of East Dulwich especially on

> kids routes to school. We should bring in a law

> that takes dogs away from owners who allow this

> disgusting practice.

• 1 month later...

There is a live petition that can be signed here:

https://www.change.org/p/fight-unfair-dog-restrictions-in-southwark?recruiter=745707919&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

The way in which the council went about the consultation should alarm everyone, not just dog owners.

Please sign it so we can have a happy, dog friendly borough (with no one shitting on pavements, ideally).

People need to be more aware of the Council's push to introduce Public Space Protection Orders and what this could mean for us all, not just dog owners. A recent Panorama employed secret filming to show how councils are using these orders to generate income. The job of 'policing' is handed over to a private company. It was revealed that employees were concocting charges and making up evidence to garner more fines. They work on commission.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Meanwhile, on the Isle of Thanet (Margate Broadstairs Ramsgate and various other places within), Thanet District Council (TDC) - also anti-dog - have taken their own action to prevent good people walking their dogs on the beaches. During the Summer, dog owners are not allowed to walk their dogs on most of the beaches, day time. My friend writes:

"Now, this: So TDC have decided to implement a TOTAL ban for dogs on Stone Bay on the usual 1st May-end of September time frame, for next year, as opposed to the 'no dogs between 10-6' and sneaked it through planning......

there is a long list of other beaches this will also apply to."

What IS it with councils blanket-punishing all dog owners because of the bad behaviour of a few?