Wild flowers on Goose Green

Sue

I'd just like to thank whoever is responsible for the little wild flower meadow at the other end of Goose Green from the roundabout.

It's looking lovely at the moment and it's really good to see these flowers in the middle of London.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't mention it Sue, I thought they'd look nice

> there.

Blimey KK, how public spirited you are :)) :)) :))

Did you plant all the daffodils as well? :))

edhistory Wrote:

> Should be quite fertile soil there after the

> winter of discontent when you could smell the

> rubbish tip at Goose Green roundabout.

Actually wild flowers do better if the soil isn't fertile!

And I think Louisa is well aware that KK was joking :))

Calsug Wrote:

> Looks fantastic, my wife was mentioning that the

> long grass on Peckham Rye should have something

> similar done

>

It has had in previous years, has it not this year?

Usually there are several places on the Rye where the grass is left long and is full of wild flowers.

But when they flower depends on the type of plant, so it may be that they aren't flowering at the moment.

Just now, on the very narrow patch of green near to the Tesco/Banh Banh etc., I noticed that the room-sized patch of wildgrass/flowers has been mown away! I thought these little pockets were purposely left to grow wilder. Maybe the mower got carried away? The other patches, in the park itself, remain.

Introducing patches of wild flowers in green spaces seems to be a trend across Southwark. The mound in Burgess park opposite Albany road looks lovely from spring onwards. Likewise a strip on Camberwell Green next to the road.

To whoever has done one - many , many thanks you have done a wonderful job (alongside the sun , nature etc). When I first read the title I thought there would be another carping thread so really nice to have one that celebrates the good things.

Nigello Wrote:

> Just now, on the very narrow patch of green near

> to the Tesco/Banh Banh etc., I noticed that the

> room-sized patch of wildgrass/flowers has been

> mown away! I thought these little pockets were

> purposely left to grow wilder. Maybe the mower got

> carried away? The other patches, in the park

> itself, remain.

Wild flower meadows have to be managed, and do have to be mown at certain times of the year.

They can't just be left.

I can't remember the exact timing. So it might have been intentional.

Hay meadows (which are where wild flowers grow) will be mown once the grasses etc. (including wild flowers often) are seeded and going over - when clearly varies by how far north you are and what the summer has been like so far - but mid June (good summer) to late July (wet summer) is a good range. So something being mown in early July isn't unreasonable. When mowing for forage/ silage you won't be wanting the grass too green at all (it won't keep) - but that won't be an issue in London parks. You want to mow in good time to allow the grass to start growing again before the autumn.

• 3 weeks later...

AnnaSimmonds Wrote:

> These flowers are absolutely beautiful, and

> knowing a local member of the community planted

> them just out of kindness is just wonderful. Thank

> you so much :)

They didn't. KK was joking :))