concerned neighbour (who best to contact with concerns for an elderly neighbour)

Does anyone have information as to who best to contact with concerns for an elderly neighbour. My partner and i often see an elderly lady walking our road and have, along with others, had to help her cross the often very busy road and get into the entrance of her home. Even at this point it seems she is still having difficulties getting into her house and using her stairs. Whilst we of course do not mind, this recently occurred quite late at night (post 11pm) and we are now quite concerned as to why she is even out at this time and for her general welfare. Any advice is much appreciated.

ljenkins37 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone have information as to who best to

> contact with concerns for an elderly neighbour. My

> partner and i often see an elderly lady walking

> our road and have, along with others, had to help

> her cross the often very busy road and get into

> the entrance of her home. Even at this point it

> seems she is still having difficulties getting

> into her house and using her stairs. Whilst we of

> course do not mind, this recently occurred quite

> late at night (post 11pm) and we are now quite

> concerned as to why she is even out at this time

> and for her general welfare. Any advice is much

> appreciated.

Have you tried chatting about her situation whilst helping her out? Say just ask casually about family etc

Unless it is clear that someone is actually in distress and in need of aid then you must avoid breaching their privacy. Many older people (I am one) value their privacy and whilst some will be grateful for evidence of being a caring neighbour, others won't.

Maybe engage in conversation, offer to swap emergency contact details (yours with hers) so that if either should need assistance the other could help. (You might wish someone to be notified if something happened to your house whilst you were away, for instance). Find out if she has relatives (children?). At the moment you are afraid she is getting into difficulties, or might do shortly. But jumping the gun may not be helping her. Particularly if 'the social' try to move her from her house against her will.

Ideally you might see if she does need help, perhaps with shopping, or gardening, or DIY. But remember that the elderly are (rightly) very suspicious of those trying to get access to their houses or lives. Respect that. Work slowly to gain her confidence.

As previous posts have commented - this lady is likely to value her independence and may not take too kindly about others trying 'to help'. Strike up a conversation by all means - I assume she recognises you as neighbours and offer to get the odd bit of shopping if the weather is too bad. You can offer your telephone number, should she need assistance. You mention that she has difficulties in getting into her house and using stairs. An assessment by an OT (Occupational Therapist) could result in stair rails/grab rails and other aids - you could ask her whether she would like you to make contact with OT.

The PDF available on this page: http://www.2.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/2305/a-z_of_services_for_older_people_in_southwark is an A-Z of all services for older people in Southwark - perhaps you could point her to it or if she's not tech'ed up print it out for her, then maybe she could look through and choose any groups or services which might be suitable for her?