Cycle hangar on Goodrich Rd

Nigello

Good news for cyclists with nowhere safe to put their wheels: according to a letter I got today, the council wants to install a hangar near to the junction with Upland. It will mean one parking space will be gone but six people will have a place to put their bikes.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good news for cyclists with nowhere safe to put

> their wheels: according to a letter I got today,

> the council wants to install a hangar near to the

> junction with Upland. It will mean one parking

> space will be gone but six people will have a

> place to put their bikes.

Excellent news, we use one in SE15, they're a godsend for our 3 bike household!

While this is undoubtedly nice for families that own bikes I cannot see why money is ring-fenced without a clear need. It seems this money has been allocated and now councillors are touting around asking who would like a bike hangar. Meantime, local footpaths are a wreck and some even dangerous but apparently there is no way this money in need of a home can be spent on improving and making them safe. Crazy.

On another thread RCH posted:

I was dismayed to hear ED councillors allocating ?30,000 in CGS underspend funds to bike hangars at Monday night's DCC meeting.

I can't tell from the disjointed public reports whether this is in addition to the approx ?25,000 allocated to bike hangars at the last DCC meeting or whether the ?25,000 was upped to ?30,000.

But this is definitely in addition to the approx ?50,000 of CGS, in total, which has been allocated to Melbourne Grove "traffic calming measures" in the southern part of the road which has an average speed of 19mph. BTW, the conversion of the existing speed cushions into speed humps has now been approved so an engineer is now being paid to work on the detailed design.

So I think we may be looking at almost ?100,000 of devolved public money in East Dulwich being spent on speed humps and bike hangars?

This is why I just want to scream when I hear the excuse of "budget cuts" being used to block works and services that the community is continuously campaigning for...

--------------------

Goodrich Road...where there are already parking challenges due to it being right outside a school, the road being

clogged up twice a day already. --- Perhaps the best thing to do is not to drive your children to school? (I own neither car nor cycle, BTW.)

Toosmart1973 Wrote:

> Nigello Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Good news for cyclists with nowhere safe to put

> > their wheels: according to a letter I got

> today,

> > the council wants to install a hangar near to

> the

> > junction with Upland. It will mean one parking

> > space will be gone but six people will have a

> > place to put their bikes.

>

> Excellent news, we use one in SE15, they're a

> godsend for our 3 bike household!

So a cycle hanger holds 6 Bikes and you want 3 spaces for your family. ?

Fox

Jacqui5254 Wrote:

> Goodrich Road...where there are already parking

> challenges due to it being right outside a school,

> the road being

> clogged up twice a day already.

> Where's the sense in that? Two or three streets

> away would have made more sense...

Would you be happy if to unclog the road - for it's surely multiple cars, not one bike hangar the size of a car, that clog the road - residents were told they had to park their cars two or three streets away? Can't say I'm entirely convinced by bike hangars - I think the money would be better spent on in-garden bike storage - but it's a bit rich to complain about one car-sized facility and not the hundred car-sized, um, cars, blocking the road. If the bike hangar wasn't there the space would be used by a car, so no quantitative difference to the congestion in the road.

have you got a link Nigello or James -- who should people apply to for spaces in the hangars or to suggest a location?

This is one of the most frequent questions we get asked -- how do I get a place in a bike hangar, they are all full, how do I get one on my street?"

I have sealed the envelope and sent it off. There was an email address on the letter. If you are living very close, you will have got a letter. Perhaps a neighbour nearer to it can help you?

A compromise could be having one on the pavement near to where the road narrows and has railings. The pavement is wider and it could go opposite the salt/grit container.

Parking around here, even with the school, is OK. That is not to say that a reduction in the number of school-run trips would not be very welcome.

hammerman Wrote:

> Reading the original post as 'hangar' seems

> interesting as a lot of people have followed on

> using the 'a' instead of 'e' including James

> Barber!

>

> Hope you get the cycle hanger sorted.

"Hangar" is quite correct, used in the sense of a storage area for vehicles as in aircraft hangar: it's not a place one hangs bicycles up.

Hi rendelharris.

My point wasn't about not wanting a hanger, it was to do with the best place for it.

As you say, there are a lot of cars on the road. There are a lot more cars at school time around Goodrich when people try to park, sometimes dangerously, so placing the hanger two or three streets away would seem sensible to me. Is there a demand for one in that particular location? I don't know. I live in the road next to where this hanger is planned,[and,yes, I often have to park one or two streets away], but no-one has asked if I have a bike, or if I would like space to store it on the street. Also, most of the housing stock aroung here have front gardens so help with in-garden storage would be a good option as you mentioned. All I know is that if we don't question things, even if we are not right, then some faceless council will continue to use public funds willy-nilly and not always to meet the actual needs of our community.

Jacqui5254 Wrote:

Is there a

> demand for one in that particular location?

Yes, they're placed where people have asked for them. I don't believe that removing one car parking space is going to make a ha'porth of difference one way or the other to congestion on the road, as I said above, if there wasn't a cycle hangar there would be a car in that space - as has been stated by others, it's people driving their children to school that are causing the congestion and a cycle hangar won't make any difference to that. As I said, I think front garden storage provided by the council in the same way they've been providing motorcycle anchors could in many cases be a better and more cost-effective option, but lots of houses round here are divided into flats with the upstairs flat, which would have most need of bike storage, not always having a say over what does and doesn't go in the front garden.

Thanks for reposting my comments above, firstmate, as I've been biting my tongue.

I basically don't have anything against cycle hangars. If local neighbourhood residents want to group together and put in a CGS bid for a hangar for an agreed location on their street, then so be it.

That's how the democratic nature of devolved CGS funding is meant to work, it's meant to empower residents to address issues that they feel aren't being addressed by internal council funding.

But, for actual ward residents' campaigns and CGS bids to be overruled and rejected and for devolved CGS funding to be allocated into a theoretical project "pot" is contrary to the "devolved" philosophy of CGS. It's now creating a situation where residents are having to circumvent obstacles simply to get basic issues addressed in their ward.

Having said that, I personally think that bike hangars should be consulted on and funded by internal council funds as part of a bigger overall strategy across the borough, so that we don't have a situation where devolved CGS funds are diverted away from residents' issues.

BTW, firstmate, I've recently been circumventing obstacles with a view towards accessing information about pavement improvements in the area, will try to start a new thread to update so that we can all stick together.

An astonishing update...

I've just stumbled across a Southwark consultation about cycle hangars, that appears to have be funded by the London Mayor, that was conducted just a couple of months ago in June 2017.

You can see it here, along with all the proposed locations for cycle hangars:-

https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/environment-leisure/cycle-hangars-local-consultation/

There are several locations proposed for East Dulwich, nominated by local residents, that are being consulted on to be paid for by City Hall. I guessing that this was the part of the consultation letter that was just sent to Nigello?

So, this is great news...

But the question is... why are councillors allocating devolved CGS funds for seven more hangars when there is actually an externally funded scheme going ahead in the area??

And, at the same time, residents' CGS bids for pavement upgrading are being declined... even though pedestrians are top of the priority list in Southwark's transportation strategy.