All Hallows eve (in East Dulwich - what to expect)

phillyboy

We had loads of little children knocking on our door for sweets quite early in the evening last year. I loved it and had a whole load of sweets ready. Other than that - we just had loads of fireworks but we back onto Lettsom Gardens, so that is the norm through the whole of November.

I'm a sucker for any of this really.... Easter, Christmas, Halloween, Valentines Day, Mothering Sunday, Father's Day. I'm Hallmark's dream client.

CamberwellOz, that's not the attitude at all. I think you will find you were plagued by greedy f*ck trophies, overly influenced by American TV into demanding money with menaces, and that your elderly neighbour (who doesn't exist) was really scared by the whole thing.

Phillyboy, depending on exactly where you are, I would expect maybe a few rings of the doorbell, but nothing wholesale.

In our household a chubby toddler is being dressed as a pumpkin, pumpkin pie will be scoffed and sweets will be offered to small children who come by dressed as witches, wizards, skellingtons and so on. Apologies for the lack of appropriate ED irony, but I suspect we'll have a lot of fun.

"In our household a chubby toddler is being dressed as a pumpkin, pumpkin pie will be scoffed and sweets will be offered to small children who come by dressed as witches, wizards, skellingtons and so on. Apologies for the lack of appropriate ED irony, but I suspect we'll have a lot of fun"

MOOS - I have already told you that I do NOT find being kidnapped and dressed as bloody PUMPKIN funny. If I have to throw bite sized Mars Bar at anymore denizens of Disk-world I will not be held responsible for my actions.....

... and take this sodding nappie off me, I feel like a right pillock

... and NO I do not want another Fruit-Loop, give me BEER. I need one.

We've been round to our neighbours trying to give away cakes the kids baked earlier. They like dressing up, they like being out in the dark they like the idea of visiting neighbours. Only managed to give away two everyone else refused to answer. Mean spirited buggers won't be getting any christmas cheer from me.

Here's my recipe for a quiet Halloween, free of the attentions of little ghouls, animated pumpkins and baby witches and warlocks...

First year you move in, stock up on loads and loads of lovely, luscious juicy fruit! Peaches, berries, grapes, plums, tropical anything you can think of. Hand out in generous quantities with friendly smiles to all who knock at your door...

And no one will ever, ever, knock on your door again.

Kind of sad really. But it works.