Be careful! Phone snatching attempt - East Dulwich Road

sarah g

At about 10pm last night, right by bus stop H East Dulwich Road / Gooose Green stop, some guys on a motorbike mounted the pavement, came by on the inside of me and attempted to snatch my phone from my hand. Luckily they missed and drove off without any further attempt.

But be careful and don't walk along texting like I was! And be very careful if you're walking along on the phone to someone. It all happened in seconds and was not a pleasant experience.

Last night at the junction of CP Rd by the Great Exhibition pub there was a guy on a scooter for best part of an hour zooming through, going around the back roads then back again. U-turns there, stopping, speaking to a guy on foot who kept passing who he obviously knew, I didn't see a crime committed (apart from stupid driving of the moped) but at 0130 you'd want a reason to be driving around like that in a single area for so long.

The twat woke me up but missus wouldn't let me go out and talk to him. Winds me right up when I'm tired.

Two kids (looked to be 15/16) on an old Vespa style scooter nearly had a pop at me by the Goose Green roundabout one night last week. I had on headphones and my phone in my hand. I crossed from Just Williams to the EDT and they nearly hit me on the crossing, and had a very good look at me. They went around the roundabout and back down through the no entry sign an and did a u-turn by by the EDT bins. All the time watching me. During his time I had put my phone away, put my headphones in my bag, fastened the bag and taken it off my back, and kept eye contact with them. For some reason they didn't come after me, but I think I had a close escape.

It's not an unusual story it seems, but it doesn't stop me being affronted that people think it's ok to do this sort of thing. What surprised and upset me the most, I think, was that this was not at midnight but at about 6.30pm, in front of a packed EDT terrace. So very brazen.

Also that my instinct was to go after them, but that I didn't because I then worried that I might be stabbed, by a 15 year old, 500 yards from my front door, which would be an ideal outcome for my wife and children. That is not an acceptable way for anyone to feel.

I agree with other posters that this is happening more frequently, especially around Goose Green, and I would very much like to hear if there is a planned approach from Police and council to counter what seems to be a growing problem. I know there are no magic wand solutions here, but this is getting out of hand.

singalto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The police keep telling people not to use their

> phones in the street!

But it's our choice - once the iPhone 8 comes people will be more careful - my iPhone 6+ is now getting to the end of it's life.

When I meet with Police officers they stress they'd like people to report more suspicious activities and not filter so much. They would welcome people calling the Police 101 non emergency number. The activity you've described would in my mind was sufficiently suspicious that the Police would want to know. If they had a spare patrol car or other resource they would be sent. It might deter things from happening or they might catch someone in the act.

Only way Policing can work is people reporting suspicious activities.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Yeah I thought about it but what to report.

Hope you are ok Sarah. Sounds like these motorbike people are everywhere.

A couple of months ago around 3pm I was turning left into Northcross Road from Lordship Lane and two motorbikes/scooter drivers were weaving about all over the place and just acting out of the ordinary.

Half an hour later I was trapped in a row of cars along Whately road (spelling?) as an elderly person was in trouble in their car and was blocking the flow of traffic. These motorbikes were weaving about again, very intimidating, I locked my car doors a couple of times in between trying to help the person but still felt a bit shaken as they were all over the place.

I have seen on many occasions in many locations bikes(Scooters) being ridden recklessly.

Groups of youths sitting on bikes. They are everywhere. No Foot Patrol Police to confront them.

Plenty of Police driving at speed Twos and Blues down lordship Lane.

If all Police are to be in cars, we need them to cruise around the backstreets where most crime is perpetrated.

I.E. Burglaries... Robberies... Muggings... Scooter Theft... Car Theft..

DulwichFox.

My partner and I were driving down Dunstans Road yesterday (23rd Aug) from the junction at Peckham Rye... two scooters came flying down the road towards us weaving around all over the places, and then intentionally came across our side of the road driving at us and forcing us into the curb... If I was driving, I'd have been tempted to carry on and knock them off (survival of the fittest and all that), but my partner swerved into the junction with Dunstans Grove so they could pass...

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> failing that, just don't have your phone out and

> keep things in your pockets.

Yep..

1st Option.

People should not get their phones out in a public place.

Women should not walk down the road alone.

Elderly people should stay in doors and not venture out after dark.

Children should not be allowed to play outdoors.

Then it would be a lovely world with less crime.

2nd Option.

Catch these Ar*****s and bang them up.

Then our streets really WOULD be a safer place.

Stop all this Pussy Footing around.

DulwichFox