Jade Boulangerie - Barry Rd closing tomorrow

SebsC

According to the staff, tomorrow is the last day that they'll be open as they are closing this branch. Real shame as it is our go to for bread and coffees. I guess it just wasn't making enough money to warrant keeping it open with another branch so close by with greater footfall.

So it has been sold to someone else who has replaced all the staff?

Have I got that right?

What has the off licence got to do with it, have they bought Jade?

Are they keeping the Jade name even though there's another branch in Lordship Lane, presumably still owned by the previous owners?

I don't understand.

Hi @Sue, my understanding is that the people who own Barry also own the shop next door where Jade is (I think they've owned it since the newsagent sold up).

As per @Artful's post, following Jade's decision to close the Barry people are going to be continuing to sell bread etc there (still getting the bread from Jade I think), so I've got my fingers crossed that it'll all work out OK...

probably wasn't making enough money because it was crap. Seriously cafe owners, do a spell in Oz then come back and put some heart into your food please. Banal doesn't even cut it, I fell asleep just walking past their menu. Don't believe me, take a look for yourself http://www.boulangeriejade.com/hot-meals yawn.

P.s I wouldn't post this if they weren't already closing down, not that heartless ;)

I think what lets down most of the cafes here - in London, not just SE22 - is the service. A lot of servers, in my experience, don't know about the food they are serving and just act as if they are shifting Object A from Counter to Table. Here in ED, the best service comes at Blue Brick and down at Norris and Knight. I shan't list the bad ones....

Erm.. it's a boulangarie! If they felt the need for inspiration on how to run their business, they might look somewhere closer to home than Oz...

Beej Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> probably wasn't making enough money because it was

> crap. Seriously cafe owners, do a spell in Oz then

> come back and put some heart into your food

> please. Banal doesn't even cut it, I fell asleep

> just walking past their menu. Don't believe me,

> take a look for yourself

> http://www.boulangeriejade.com/hot-meals yawn.

>

> P.s I wouldn't post this if they weren't already

> closing down, not that heartless ;)

Beej Wrote:

> probably wasn't making enough money because it was

> crap. Seriously cafe owners, do a spell in Oz then

> come back and put some heart into your food

> please. Banal doesn't even cut it, I fell asleep

> just walking past their menu. Don't believe me,

> take a look for yourself

> http://www.boulangeriejade.com/hot-meals yawn.

>

> P.s I wouldn't post this if they weren't already

> closing down, not that heartless ;)

Oh dear Beej get your facts right before slagging a business off.

The menu you show is for the lordship lane branch which isn't closing down, therefore you have posted it for a business that is still open.

The Peckham Rye (Barry Road) branch is changing hands this weekend and still sell Jade bread and products when they reopen Monday.

I think they also have other exciting plans as well and all will hopefully progress smoothly for them.

Not frequented the Barry Rd branch but have had nothing but good experiences at the LL branch.

As for slagging the menu off, as has been pointed out its a Boulangerie, and a very good one at that. I've always found the quality to be great...also, they were runners up in that 'Bake-off creme de la creme' show on the BBC last year.

Seems like a local business to celebrate rather than knock.

Nigello Wrote:

Here in

> ED, the best service comes at Blue Brick and down

> at Norris and Knight. I shan't list the bad

> ones....

Amazed to read that, because we only go to Blue Brick when we have enormous amounts of time on our hands and nothing time-critical coming up, because the food is lovely but the service is so extraordinarily slow!!

Perhaps it is because I generally go either during the week or before 1030 at the weekend to BB Cafe. La Scala is great, too (but I long to pull up the weeds in the otherwise lovely back garden. In fact, I have done just that when I sat next to a few the other week!)

Beej Wrote:

> Seriously cafe owners, do a spell in Oz then

> come back and put some heart into your food please.

Are you an Australian? (I hear there are still a handful of them left in London, post-recession... doubtless still grumbling about the food, and the weather, and pretty much everything else I imagine)

But for the rest of us.. a caf? selling excellent bread and patisserie, and basic light lunches continues to be a welcome fixture of the neighbourhood.

Hello Lovely people of East Dulwich!

As of today we are really excited to announce that we have taken on the Boulangerie Jade on Barry road.

Having lived in the area for the last decade my wife and I very much look forward to taking over the business with the support of the lovely guys at Barry's.

We'd personally like to reassure all of you out there that love Jade that we have every intention of continuing to sell the delicious Jade baked bread, pastries, savouries and cakes and we'll be bringing in a few new delights to the menu and improving the coffee. Suggestions very welcome.

Gosia, my wife will be running the day to day operation. Gosia has been in the industry for years at a number of really great venues across London including Daphnies and Rivington. Most recently Gosia was part of the team that opened Thomas's at Burberry Regent Street. Needless to say shes a natural but I'm biased don't just take my word for it pop in and say hi and see for yourself.

My name is Jay and I'll be a little more behind the scenes. You'll probably see me most weekends as during the week I'm Head of Beverage operations for the Smart Group & Moving Venue Caterers. We do exciting events like Royal Ascot and Henley. I've previously managed at Sushi Samba, the Ivy and Loungelover not to mention 3 years in Sydney Australia at a few cool places down under.

Anyway, enough about us. You get the picture. We're industry lovers with a passion for great service and great produce.

We intent to change the name, tweak, modernise and renovate over the next few months and we hope you're as excited as us to see the place take shape. It certainly needs a little love and a few fresh ideas.

We happily continue to employ a couple of the team and any talk of pay cuts etc in nonsense. Sadly, we didn't get to meet all of the old staff but anyone that is interested is more than welcome to come for a chat.

We have no intention of changing the prices and will continue to sell at the price of neighbouring Jade on Lordship Lane.

Please feel free to stop by, say hi, have a coffee and let us know your thoughts and suggestions.

We hope to see you soon.

Jay & Gosia