Zippo Circus Peckham Rye

LanaJade

Just got back from the grand opening at the circus, it was amazing we have been to many before and this one topped them all! a great night out and very talented acts, our fav was the horses, budgies and the amazing motorbikes in the wheel! recommend highly!

www.zippos.co.uk

Went yesterday. Clown v funny. Throwing knife act; contortionist; jugglers etc great. Fabulous tumblers/ acrobats; cracking whip lot; Lucius crew motorbikes in wheel etc. etc. Really fun and classy circus stuff! (Although the main reason we go is because my 12-year old loves the budgies!). We had a fantastic time!

Thank you Zippos.

HP

We went to zippos tonight 3 adults and 5 children and we all thought it was excellent , the acts were totally different from the last time I went which was a few years ago and it was good then but it was a surprise to me how really really good it is !

Go and see it !

edcam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Shame they still use animals for entertainment.

Agree. Cirque du Soleil The best 'Circus' in the World does not use animals.

Absolutely no need for performing animals these days.

They may be well looked after, but animals have off days like we do, but are expected to perform day in day out.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> They may be well looked after, but animals have

> off days like we do, but are expected to perform

> day in day out.

>

> DulwichFox

As do sheepdogs, guide dogs etc, but no-one would suggest we put a stop to them. I really can't believe that the budgies are suffering.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > They may be well looked after, but animals have

> > off days like we do, but are expected to

> perform

> > day in day out.

> >

> > DulwichFox

>

> As do sheepdogs, guide dogs etc, but no-one would

> suggest we put a stop to them. I really can't

> believe that the budgies are suffering.

Ridiculous analogy..

1/10

Fox

There is nothing harmful in using horses cantering around a circus ring for 5 mins, because really, that is about the length of the horse performance. The same is true for the budgies. Reality check. Horses in riding schools do far more. Anyone who thinks these horses are suffering really does not now anything about horses or horse welfare.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> There is nothing harmful in using horses cantering

> around a circus ring for 5 mins, because really,

> that is about the length of the horse performance.

> The same is true for the budgies. Reality check.

> Horses in riding schools do far more.

Anyone who thinks these horses are suffering really does not now anything about horses or horse welfare.

And it would seem you know even less..

Captive Animal Protection Society CAPS

We believe that all animals should be treated with respect and compassion. This is why we campaign for an end to the use of animals in circus performances.

We believe that the use of animals in circus performances is not only damaging to the welfare of those individuals involved but that it also sends a damaging message to the general public, and particularly to children.

By presenting animals as performers in the big top, it teaches children that animals can be manipulated for our amusement.

It suggests that animals have no right to be treated as individuals who think and feel for themselves. It fails to recognise that animals have their own needs to be met, for their own purposes.

Circuses often travel, meaning that animals are kept in rudimentary housing which cannot meet their most basic welfare needs. Housing for lions might be the back of a lorry. Elephants spend their nights shackled by their legs. Horses and zebra live in makeshift stalls in tents.

Domesticated animals such as horses are forced to carry numerous people on their backs and perform ?dances? which puts dangerous pressure on their joints and ligaments, risking long-term health damage

http://www.captiveanimals.org/our-work/circuses

DulwichFox

Out of interest DF what are your views on other activities that involve horses for human entertainment such as sports - racing, show-jumping, dressage etc - and pulling ceremonial carriages e.g. for weddings, romantic rides through parks and funerals.

nxjen Wrote:

> Out of interest DF what are your views on other

> activities that involve horses for human

> entertainment such as sports - racing,

> show-jumping, dressage etc - and pulling

> ceremonial carriages e.g. for weddings, romantic

> rides through parks and funerals.

I detest Horse Racing. Disapprove of Show-Jumping and Dressage .. Dressage involves Horses performing

extremely unnatural movements. Restraints to hold their necks and heads in uncomfortable / unnatural positions.

I am ok with Horses being used in Ceremonial events such as Weddings and Funerals.

These Horses are bred to be strong and work at natural speeds which is unlikely to harm them.

DulwichFox

Last chance to see Zippo's circus tonight, Tuesday at 6.00 pm before it moves off.

Went last night and it was genuinely excellent. Great motorbike finale in the globe of death ( a bit like a wall of death but, you know, a globe), an incredible contortionist, really impressive acrobats, jugglers, chain swingers, knife throwers, Norman the ring master and his troupe of budgies...

OK, yes, the horses too - some people don't agree with it at all, others are a bit more equivocal - it didn't seem to me like the horses were doing something particularly likely to cause then harm but I am no expert and I don't speak horseish so can't ask them directly and it is a small ring for them to be working in.

If you are interested in going you should be able to find a discount code - try ZIP30 for 30% off, which has been advertised officially. But if maybe you tried substituting, say, 50 for 30 you might find a nice surprise. No harm trying anyway. www.zippos.co.uk/

Having a 'belief' is not evidence Dulwich Fox. The statement you post is a lot of opinion and NO evidence whatsoever. Horses can carry loads far heavier than a human being. Unless you have scientific evidence on the anatomy of horses that can prove otherwise, you are posting nonsense.

And I say that as someone who comes from a family of horse owners. But more than that, the anatomy of muscle, tendons, ligaments is well understood. You won't find a single horse vet who thinks a 5 min canter around a circus ring carrying a human is particularly stressful.