Bad accident north Dulwich junction

• 1 month later...
Another one there tonight. Two fire engines in attendance and tailback on East Dulwich Grove back to Melbourne Grove. I don't know the circumstances and wish all involved well but I can't help but wonder if this is linked to the roadworks in the Village and drivers who've been held up there rushing on, once through the temporary lights.

I think these two very bad accidents are linked to the massively disruptive works; the likes of which are so unbelievably disruptive, with the timings of the lights apparently so illogical . The works started just as the schools went back and the tailbacks are right next to two local primary schools, so the impact on air quality is absolutely dreadful. If the village junction will be massively improved then maybe, just maybe, it makes sense. But this seemed to go ahead despite massive local opposition and confusion about the ultimate purpose of it. Let's just hope that it has a positive impact... some time next year... And let's hope there aren't any fatalities in the meantime.

If your assumptions are correct (and nobody seems to be advancing any evidence for this) then the accidents are caused by stupid drivers getting over aggressive because they've been held up, no? Or does being in a car absolve one of the responsibility to act sensibly? Should no works ever be carried out because we can't rely on car drivers not to act like idiots if their journey is delayed? Whatever the rights and wrongs of the works (and I personally tend to think they're ill conceived), the blame for an accident (if caused by careless or dangerous driving or speeding) lies squarely at the door of the offending driver(s).

Fingers crossed - I've always thought the Village Way/EDG junction is ripe for accidents (even before these works) because some of the more irresponsible "local knowledge" drivers know that there's a hold for the pedestrian lights and if they see no pedestrians take a chance to dodge across - once recently we had actually just stopped at the lights (going from Dulwich Village to RPH) and a guy overtook us on the wrong side of the road, and the wrong side of the pedestrian island, presumably banking on that delay between EDG/Village Way and RPH/DV controls giving him time to get through. I actually shut my eyes waiting for the crash...don't know what can be done about that, but it happens more often (though not in such extreme form) than is safe. Junction cameras, maybe?

The cameras seem to be working currently at that crossroads, I saw three cars being caught by them the other day when they went through red... so hopefully they'll catch any of those aforementioned nutters who crash lights!

There's been a junction camera since 2015 on the EDG traffic light system that goes ahead onto Village Way or turns right onto North Dulwich. It also serves traffic jumping lights etc on the opposite side of Village Way going forward turning right into Dulwich Village or straight on to EDG I think!