Sydenham Hill wood

Mari.Sara

Hi there!

Could u please help me with some info?

If u have been there once already I need to know whether it's a good idea to take there a group of kids (age 6-12) for a walking, pic nic and some outdoor games.

I need info about walking trails fitted for the coming season, next month (beginning October ideally). I'm trying to look up online for maps but I can't find any. Could u help me please?

Thanks a lot

There are paths around the woods but I'm not sure 'walking trail' would be applicable seeing as the entire area is not massive for anyone of reasonable mobility. I think one of more of the entrances may have a broad map shown, which you perhaps could take a photo of with your mobile and use asks guide. But there's plenty people around to ask directions. If you've not been there, don't worry, it's not Washington State wilderness but rather a few leftover acres of woods.

Picnics - there are a few small open spaces but whether they have direct sunlight depends on time of day / where sun is. If picnicking, dogs may be a hassle as they naturally are attracted to food smells.

It's a great place, kids will love it, perhaps together you can explore and draw your own maps !

This website may help: http://www.wildlondon.org.uk/reserves/sydenham-hill-wood-and-coxs-walk

People quite often seem to hold children's parties there. Near(ish) to the Sydenham Hill Station entrance there's a large clearing with a bench that I've seen people use or at the Cox's Walk entrance it's also fairly open.

At each entrance there's a map showing the paths and a number of interesting things and wildlife to look out for.

You'd need either good weather or waterproofs as there are no shelters once you're inside.

Only downside is poor access for wheelchairs and pushchairs, and you can't take bikes or scooters in.

Depending on the weather there are either a couple of ponds or a couple of very boggy areas - either way a hazard that needs to be watched out for with younger children - probably a call-out for wellingtons! But on a crisp autumn day (not raining) with autumn colour around you it could be glorious. There are 'ruins' in the woods, which can be fun to find, and a quite wide variety of habitat for such a small area.