Parties at DHFC - noise

MellowYellow

We live near DHFC and absolutely don't mind the football noise and we support the club. Over the past year we've been aware of some really late parties with (an amazing!) sound system that has music blaring with a roaring bass we can feel in the house.

We've had to call Southwark Noise on a couple of occasions when it's been insanely loud / late but on numerous occasions it wasn't clear where the noise was coming from and by the time they actually attended it was winding down.

Don't begrudge people having a party and accept that some noise will carry but the sound systems being used are wholly antisocial. Found out tonight that the venue are hiring the pitch for people to use a marquee and sound system. AIBU or should this be monitored by the club? Has anyone else noticed or been suffering this?

Not sure about 'really late parties', but I know there have been some community-type events on Greendale on a Sunday afternoon/early evening recently. Is this what you are referring to?

These events are allowed by the people who run the bars & other facilities at Dulwich Hamlet Football Club and I'm told come under all current licencing, but they're not arranged by Dulwich Hamlet Football Club per se, as in not to do with the voluntary Football Committee.

They come under the remit of the General Manager of the Champion Hill site and associated facilities. If you want to contact him direct you can do so at [email protected] as he deals with the bookings for the Sunday events.

I've experienced this a couple of times. The events don't go on late at all but the level of noise is truly excessive. I actually don't mind the volume but the bass or reverberations, whatever you call it is so invasive it was making glasses in my house rattle and shake. After a couple of hours the constant vibration was actually making me feel sick - it felt like turbulence or motion sickness. I did look up the number for noise complaints but thing is, every so often it would go quiet for about 15 minutes so I didn't call, then just when you thought they were done, it started up again..

We are also 'victims' of these events. Agree, no issue with the general level of football stadium noise, or use for parties and their timings which are not overly late. My only issue is the bass, which is phenomenal and grotesquely inappropriate for a built up area. I am 1/4 a mile away and my glasses also shake in the cupboard, no exaggeration.

Are any other people impacted? I'll log and contact the club and escalate to a counsellor if necessary.

I went and had a look on Sunday 13 August, a little before three, as it seemed noisier than even the usual stadium noise.

It was actually coming then from the small practice pitch just west of the stadium, that's accessed by a gate where the path to Greendale begins. Does that bit belong to DHFC? The music was coming from a large PA system on the back of a van. There were several cars also on the site, and maybe a table or two, and there was a man with a "Steward" hi-vis waistcoat on the approach road. One of the posts barring the road currently doesn't have a padlock.

There were two or three people seemed to be on their way there but I didn't get any clear idea of what was going on ... celebration, community or faith group I thought perhaps, and a bit late for a boot sale, but no real idea.

Yes, I have also noticed this. It is going on right now. As others have noted, the stadium noise is usually not too bad, even with the tannoy going, but this is on another level. The music is really loud, and the bass is so piercing that it rattles the house.

Has anyone had any luck with speaking to the club or the council about it?

I've been over see what's going on. There are two guys in hi-vis vests on the gate. They told me it's a "sound clash" essentially a competition between different sound systems or who is the loudest.

There were quite a few vans and cars there, some with systems in the back and some with systems on the roof.

These guys told me the event will finish at eight, which has been true in the past. They also told me it was an annual thing - just once a year, which is clearly untrue. They also said they have a council permit to make noise - I don't even know if that's a thing?

Yes it is land owned by the club. They're using the astroturf and are renting it from Dulwich Hamlet. Please email [email protected] if you're affected.

The council have just been round to see me and they tell me there are quite a few of these events planned which is the direct opposite of what the guys at the astroturf said so clearly they can't be depended on to be truthful....

happy2 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you again , we will email Chris and I will

> get in touch with Southwark Council. You

> mentioned that the Council have been round did

> they give you any indication if they thought it

> was too loud.

They were just on their way round the so they didn't say......

Hi we have just had a call back from the Council. He said that they have had several reports about the noise they have tried to speak to the General manager with no luck, but the event have agreed to finish at 7.00pm and to call them back if it continues after that time. So it seems we have to put up with this noise which does not seem fair.

The flyer actually refers to 10 September, but I assume this one is from the same promoters, Flex Drive Promotions. http://www.bizstats.co.uk/ltd/flex-drive-promotions-limited-10963463/. Dennis Newell and Julia Dennis also jointly own St Best Caribbean Ltd, activities 56103 - Take-away food shops and mobile food stands 56210 - Event catering activities, incorporated on 15 September.