Food bank donations

PCM

Hi, I'd like to donate to the PECAN Peckham food bank more often but find it hard to get to their office without a car and during mon-fri work hours. Does anyone know of any food collection points in ED / Peckham evenings or weekends? Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Rebecca from Southwark Foodbank here!

First of all THANK YOU so much for your continued support! We couldn't run our vital service without the support of our community.

Just to confirm a few things:

- What we really need this time of year is money! We are giving 100 families everything they need to cook a Christmas Dinner at home, this will cost us a lot!

- Please visit bit.ly/feedafamily17 to donate

- We, of course, always welcome food donations - up to date shopping lists can be found on our website www.pecan.org.uk/southwarkfoodbank

- You do not have to make an appointment to deliver food unless it is a very large donation (churches, businesses etc) although it is helpful to deliver food outside of foodbank session times. Good times are Monday and Tuesday after 2pm, all day Wednesday, Thursday before 12pm, all day Friday. We currently do not open on weekends although we're hoping to change that soon. You can donate at a number of local churches

If you'd like any more info please feel free to get in touch!

020 7732 0007 is a good way to get us!

Thanks

this money not food sounds right and I have been trying to work out why I don't think it is.

I belong to two organisations which are allowed to distribute food vouchers and the process is very tightly controlled. Before someone is given a food voucher a great deal is known about them and how they came to be in this position. No one who deals with people when they are this vulnerable and unable to manage their own affairs gives them money.

Food is what they need, a roof over their heads and a bed to put under that roof. Some places (like the 999 Club in Deptford) give free hot meals and a warm room to eat them in. Donate money to the organisations yes probably (Centrepoint, St Mungo's) but to the needy food is probably better.

Hi Sally,

Southwark Foodbank here again. This time of year we do ask for food but primarily money. The reason is that we are overwhelmed by food! Everyone knows that foodbanks need food so people always give generously. We have tesco collections this weekend when we expect to receive 4 tonnes in donations!

However, nobody thinks that foodbanks need money. Unfortunately, it costs a great deal to run a foodbank and we are always in need.

At Christmas in particular, the majority of the food we give out is fresh which means we need to buy it ourselves (to ensure correct amounts). This will cost a lot!

Please do continue to give food, it's always welcome! Make sure to check what your local foodbank needs. But if you can afford to, foodbanks and other charities will always be hugely grateful for financial donations as it means they can continue to run their service.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you want more information - 020 7732 0007.

Thanks,

Rebecca

I have to echo Higgers here Sally. The vast majority referred to food banks are simply without money, experiencing benefit delays, subject to the Universal Credit waiting, and experiencing sanctions (often which are overturned for being spurious) and not because of some self induced poverty due to being unable to manage money. The explosion in referrals to foodbanks since 2010 is a direct consequence of this governments policies. Many people referred to foodbanks need more than food as well. They need some way to feed an electric or gas meter to cook the food. They also need toiletries and all the things that enable you and me to feel clean and human every day. They people best qualified to say what is needed are those on the front line delivering services, and if they say they need money, they have very good reason for asking for it.

Hi Blah Blah,

Yes, of course, every word of that is true and the Southwark Food Bank are speaking up for themselves. The poverty that food banks are aimed at is certainly not self-induced. What SFB say is an interesting insight into the problems they face trying to cater to the need and how central actual cash is to what they do. I am very open to the idea that I am wrong.

BWs

Sally

LauraHW Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Slightly off thread but does anyone know if there

> are any charities that are asking for donations of

> children's Christmas presents?

Last year the Co-Op funeral place in LL had a collection of chidrens gifts I think to give to King's? Maybe check with them

Hi All,

We are running a reverse advent calendar at work from the 1st to 12th December for Southwark Foodbank and are happy to take in donations from others if it is helpful.

If you would like to contribute we are accepting donations on the following dates and times;

Tuesday, 5th & 12th December, fifty seven, 57 North Cross Road from 9am to 1pm

Wednesday, 6th & 13th December, Suzanne James HQ, 11B Barry Road from 9am to 5pm (also at other times if our shutters are up please just hand items in to our staff).

Urgently Needed Items Include:

Tinned fruit (400g)

Coffee

Rice (500g)

UHT Milk (1L)

Rice Pudding

Non-Pork Meat

Toiletries

Please don't donate Beans or Sugar, which they have plenty of.

We will be delivering our collection to Pecan on Peckham High Street on Friday, 15th December.

Best wishes, Suzanne

Suzanne James Ltd