Lego House on the Hill

In an ED location that will remain unnamed a house made of Lego has been just been built. I am talking about 1970s Lego - the no nonsense 4 x 2 red blocks. Most people will know the house. It is on a corner, quite prominent, and near a school. The site was an empty for years. Maybe it?s to make us nostalgic, because Noddy in Toyland is the other comparison.

It is quite depressing to see how poor the architecture turned out. Not because it is the very worst building ever, but because a few shortcuts by the developer (to save ???) have resulted in a shoddy building, when with a little more effort it could have been ok. It will depress people for years and years. If buildings were scored out of 10, with the worst 1960s tower blocks scoring 1 and the Gherkin scoring 9, it would probably scrape a 3. Not right at the bottom, but somewhere near it.

To list the problems:

- Proportions all wrong on the front with tiny windows

- Zero detailing

- Windows flat to front facade giving no relief

- Cheap fittings esp. windows

- Too much of the same red Lego brick

- A prominent location so it can?t be missed

- It will last 200 years

- Noddy lives there

Why don?t council planners try harder when agreeing to designs??? All they seem to care about is roughly matching the brick to nearby houses and a pseudo-traditional style. The quality of the design / build seems irrelevant to them.

Dear Noddy.

Regarding your new building project. I know you have to make a living somehow. I understand the need for new housing in London. I understand that you have provided a new home in a lovely area for a nice family. Well done. But if you do it again please please do not patronise those whose eyes must fall upon your building.

It has " they'll never notice" written all over it. For one, I'd rather you didn't try to pass it off as a harmonious continuation of the street facade. (unless you really did!). In almost every instance where some thought over a detail is required, you have simply said, "they'll never notice".

I've noticed and I've also noticed you've build quite a lot of new properties recently in ED.

Please consider details, surfaces, textures and other visual stimulae in the future. We notice.

Kind regards

Big ears.

Yes I've noticed that one on Landcroft and thought how awful it looked (I was assuming that was the one referred to in the OP - the one Gloves mentioned is an interesting bit of architecture). The one on Landcroft is just truly depressing - flat, featureless and with the cheapest-looking windows. I gasped when I saw that link - it's for sale at ?1.2 million!

Totally agree redjam, it's so depressing. I walk past it twice a day and it infuriates me. What a wasted opportunity to create an innovative and thoughtful piece of architecture. Maybe it was the planners but why oh why build a mock Victorian house and then do it with so little integrity.

The interior is incredibly ugly too. If you're going to pretend it's a period property at least put down a decent hardwood floor (their flooring makes me want to weep)

mrsparker Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you're

> going to pretend it's a period property at least

> put down a decent hardwood floor (their flooring

> makes me want to weep)

Yeh I noticed the hideous flooring too :(